Horrid issues from RNY

mamadawny
on 4/6/13 2:08 am - Oklahoma City, OK

I had my RNY done n 2002.  It wasn't very successful I started at 352, the lowest I got down to was 265. After testing, it was found that the opening in my stomach was too large from day 1.  I had a horrible fight with hernias after that.  I had it fixed the first time in 2003, then got pregnant, gave birth, had it fixed the 2nd time in 2005 and had more intestine bypassed.  That didn't do anything.  Then I had to have ANOTHER hernia repair in 2010.  I regret having the RNY due the misery I have endured in hernia surgeries.  I have been split breast bone to pubis and hip bone to hip bone.  My scars or horrid looking. I pretty much gave up on the surgery helping with my weight.  Over time, I have went up and down and am  at the moment, lighter than I have been since my 20's, only because I'm just not as obsessed with food anymore.  Anyway, that is the history, I am here now due to a problem I am having.

Over the last few years, I have started having stomach issues that are really making me miserable.  As soon as I eat anything, the food drops directly into my intestine and it starts spasms and noises.  Its really humiliating when I'm around people.  I also have horrid gas a few hours after I eat.  Its like my small intestine is a gas producing machine set on HIGH.  I am looking into surgery now to help with this dumping issue.  I have looked into the band over bypass and looked at revising to DS so my  pyloric valve will no longer be bypassed.  I would welcome weight loss, but its not nearly as important as not having the stomach pain/spasms/gas anymore.  After reading on the subject, I know DS would be the best option, but I hate the thought of another HUGE, OPEN surgery and probably more hernia issues.  I need to do something, my quality of life is not good.  At this point I weigh 240ish and don't eat all day until after 5pm, when I am out of public. 

Any thoughts or advise would be very welcome!

jzwife
on 4/6/13 7:29 am

I had an unsuccessful RNY because of a fistula- done in 2005. After years of no weightloss because of those issues I decided to have the DS. It took all I had to have the surgery. I too had hernia repairs. Its a tough surgery but I am so glad I followed thru with it. It has been 21/2 weeks since surgery. Every day gets a little better. I can tell a huge difference just having my stomach functioning like it should. My purpose of having the revision was to improve the quality of my life. Being heavy didn't help my hernia issues or my bad knees. I am looking at a double knee replacement unless I get the weight off my knees and I had to have 3 more hernias repaired during surgery. I am down 18lbs in 21/2 weeks. I have set little goals for myself for the next 12 months that I know I now can achieve because I did this surgery. Its a very personal choice. Do what is best for you and if you chose the DS go to their forum for support. They are awesome.

Sharon

Whit
on 4/6/13 8:15 am
Revision on 12/10/12

My RNY to DS revision was my first and only open surgery.  RNY was done LAP. At just under 4 months out I have lost almost 60 pounds. Prior to surgery I was miserable. To be honest with you I wasn't feeling to good after either. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and out of work for 14 total. Eating is a battle. Most days I do not have an appetite.   I was fortunate to have a top notch (IMHO the best in the state of CA) surgeon.  I made the right choice with DS. Every day i feel a bit more normal. I think it may be premature to say I know I did the right thing. However I do feel I chose the best option and do not have any regrets.

Good Luck and Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

bb30046
on 4/6/13 11:47 am - GA

Hello,

OMG....after reading this I can relate..my initial RNY was in 2005..but one difference is that I have a plastic ring around my pouch to keep it from stretching. In 2007 I started having stomach pains and problems and the band eroded into my stomach so they had to go in and repair that. My weight loss was minimal...very minimal then in 2011 I developed a hernia and had it repaired this time last year..well guess what?? I have another one!!! I am also having other issues where the closed off part of my stomach has reconnected so I basically need another surgery. What is up with Hernia's? I have known several people who have had gastric bypass and I am the only one who's ever had one!! I am going back to the doctor on Tuesday to find out what he is going to do about my stomach and hernia.

Zee Starrlite
on 4/8/13 5:23 am

It sounds like you were revised to a distal RNY hence all the gas.  I think most of us have weird stomach noises.  I don't have spasms nor noise all the time but sometimes I do sound like a beast.

Good luck

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pineview01
on 4/8/13 8:00 am - Davison, MI

I would read everything you can about going from your RNY to a DS.  With your history, get you PV back working for you.  If your having these issue, I would at least have the best surgery for losing and keeping it off.

I would never get a BOB!  I had a band for almost 4 years.  Some do well, some do well with all the surgeries.  But due to the relative newest/resent popularity of the BOB, I would bet $$$ that the same issue that plague Bandsters will be plaguing Bobsters down the road.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mamadawny
on 4/26/13 8:34 am - Oklahoma City, OK

After having some medical tests on my pouch (upper GI with follow through and EGD) It was found that I have rapid emptying which is not unusual 10 years down the road from RNY.  The EGD found that I have an ulcer where my pouch empties and reflux.  The anastomosis has congestion, edema, erythema, inflammation and ulceration.  Then they also noticed that my jejunum is very congested.  I'm going to try prevacid to see if that will help with the pain.  We shall see!  Thanks for the advice and if I do decide to have another surgery, it WILL be the DS.

Most Active