Getting Close

Ceithlenn
on 4/6/13 2:06 am - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

So my doctor just scheduled me for the three day nutrition class then they will submit to insurance on May 10th. The doctor and insurance coordinator sound confident in me getting an approval, I hope they are right. They advised I could be having surgery as early as June if everything goes smoothly. I am excited and scared, leaning torward the RNY as my aunt had tremendous success lost all of her excess getting down to a size 8 and staying there for almost 10 years now.

I started my journey at 320 banded at 280 got down to 218 but am back at 240 now.

Any suggestions as to why I should choose sleeve rather than RNY?

pineview01
on 4/7/13 8:11 am - Davison, MI

Congratulations on getting close!  I to had a band but converted to the sleeve.  For me I did fine with restriction only but, not with the band.  I am 2.5 months out with the sleeve.  I have lost the ~30 pounds I regained after the band was out and while I was waiting to be sleeved 4.5 month and am already 10 pounds less than I ever got with the 4 years being banded.

You need to ask yourself if when you had found the sweet spot (if you did) did it work?  If it did you would do well with the sleeve and avoid most of the supplementation issues with RNY.  If you could lose with the band while eating healthy dense protein and at your proper calorie range, you would do good with the sleeve.  If you ate right and where eating your calorie range and still couldn't lose than you should look into mal-absorption surgery.  Keep in mind that includes RNY and DS. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Ceithlenn
on 4/7/13 11:26 am - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

Thank you for your reply. I did very well with the band,  until I moved and have to change doctors, I was never able to get the right restriction again ones he started messing with it. I have some issues that might led to me wanting to avoid too much mal-absoption but I get so scared failing at the band has been a real kick to my self confidence. 

pineview01
on 4/7/13 12:44 pm - Davison, MI

I hear where your fear is coming from.  The worst thing the band can take form us is faith in ourselves.  If you have any issues that can be affected by mal-absorption, go with the sleeve.  I was afraid too.  The fear is with me everyday.  I am doing so much better with the sleeve than the band.  Like many before me, the sleeve is acting like I thought the band would and it didn't.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active