anyone get revision from Lap Band to sleeve or RNY?

MeliT
on 4/5/13 3:21 pm - Miami, FL

Hey guys, 

I got the sleeve 2 1/2 yrs ago and i'm very happy. My father is very overweight and needs help and is thinking of having WLS but like a lot of people he's leaning towards lap band. not based on any actual research but just because it "seems easy". i urged him to do his research and take this seriously. if you have gotten a revision from the lap band, why? what problems did you have with lap band? i want to give him an idea of why people often get revisions. 

also, not saying any surgery is better than another. just saying you should do the research before doing something like this.

any info appreciated. thanks!

Lisa Tucker
on 4/5/13 10:37 pm - Streator, IL
Revision on 04/19/13

Hi,

I had a lapband  done 5 years ago. While I did lose weight, just over 100 lbs, I would vomit after almost every meal. This is not good.

My dr. suggested I go for a revision, to a RNY. He said that is the best in the long run.

Good luck to your dad.

LISA

MsBatt
on 4/12/13 9:16 am
On April 6, 2013 at 5:37 AM Pacific Time, Lisa Tucker wrote:

Hi,

I had a lapband  done 5 years ago. While I did lose weight, just over 100 lbs, I would vomit after almost every meal. This is not good.

My dr. suggested I go for a revision, to a RNY. He said that is the best in the long run.

Good luck to your dad.

LISA

Actually, the DS is the best in the long run. Higher per centage of excess weight lost, higher per centage of maintained weight loss. And it is SOOO easy to live with!

pineview01
on 4/6/13 11:18 am - Davison, MI

I too am a band revision.  There is nothing "easy" about the band.  They are high maintenance,  you need fills than unfills.  You have to try to find that sweet spot, I never did.

What you need to do is go to the failed lapband group.   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

First thing note there are almost as many members as in the Band Grad group - people with bands over 1 year.  Than let him read all the ills of the band.  I talked my 2 sisters, BIL and DD out of getting bands.  1 sister and the DD are now sleeved and kicking butt.  If he want "easy" he wants the sleeve, you get the surgery and routine check ups and it requires the least amount of supplementation after also.

Tell him good luck and to research before deciding on the band!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MeliT
on 4/6/13 12:26 pm - Miami, FL
Thanks for the info! I will show him. And I do agree with you. Sleeve is a happy medium between the 2 other surgeries. But lap band is a lot of maintenance.

tonnabug
on 4/11/13 12:31 pm - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13
Just say NO to the BAND!!!!!

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

MsBatt
on 4/12/13 9:17 am

If your father is very overweight, he should research the DS, too.

karenv67
on 4/12/13 10:31 am - CT

Hi, I had a revision from band to bypass on 2/2/13.  The band worked well at first but shortly after I found ways to eat around it.  I have a sweet tooth and use food to comfort all emotions.  All the "junk food" what the drs. call slider food went down very easily but the other foods did get stuck and I ended up vomiting.  The end result.  I gained all the weight back within a year.   He needs to be honest with himself and his drs.  I went for the "easier" surgery but in the end, my bad habits won.  Good luck

Most Active