From RNY to BOB (Band Over Bypass) - Anyone?

BROWNIDGIRL
on 4/1/13 8:09 am - MD

Has anyone had the band over bypass from RNY?  It appears that's the only type of revision my insurance covers and the only type my RNY surgeon does.

I'm conflicted and would love to hear your take on this!

Thanks,

Tia

Hislady
on 4/1/13 9:27 am - Vancouver, WA

I haven't done it myself but I know there are several who have and it seems to be a mixed result some have done very well and others not as well. I think the secret is to totally change the diet and make a lifetime change of lifestyles. The ones who have succeeded have bee extremely diligent with food and exercise. There is a gal Heather Cross who has done very well you might want to look her up and PM here, she's always willing to help and tell her story.

BROWNIDGIRL
on 4/1/13 9:52 am - MD

Thank you SO much!

MsBatt
on 4/1/13 11:11 am

As Hislady says, the results seem to be quite mixed. My biggest concern would be---will your insurance pay ten years from now, when your Band wears out? Or earlier, if you develop complications? The manufacturer of the Band admits that it's not intended to last more than ten years, so you know going in that you can expect a second surgery sooner or later.

I know you say this is the only revision your insurance covers, but I bet you could get that overturned if you chose to fight it. But you would have to find a different surgeon should you choose to go with an RNY-to-DS revision, the one with the best long-term results.

BROWNIDGIRL
on 4/1/13 10:36 pm - MD

Thanks, MsBatt!  Provided I maintain the same insurance, I don't foresee any problems.  Of course, I guess I'd have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'm still in the investigational stage, but I appreciate your info!

Hugs,

Tia

heathercross
on 4/1/13 9:32 pm - New York, NY

Hi Tia. I am the fore mentioned Heather Cross.  Feel free to check out my profile.  I had a BOB in June of 2011. I am almost 2 yrs out. I am forever grateful to my band.  I know it may not be forever, but, it does its trick now.  It has given me restriction, which I never had with the RNY as well as a lack of appetite.  I also believe I am successful bc I am a person who has embraccced exercise and walks a lot.  I sometimes walk 5-6 miles a day to work.  Many of the 'friends' listed on my profile have also had BOBs.  I believe I am also successful based on my surgeon who embraces the BOB and knows it takes a lot of follow-up care and that I am truely a different patient. I am a rare combination bc I still dump a bit from the RNY and I believe I still have some malabsorption (evidenced by the toliet).  Check out my profile, let me know if you have any questions.

Also, one last thing. The band is a DIET, anyone can lose on the RNY, you just exist and you lose.  The Band, however, is work, its a diet, but, it does restrict your intake and curbs your appetite and for that I am thankful. Now, if I can never have food come out of my nose when I eat too much again - it will be the best thing ever.

BROWNIDGIRL
on 4/1/13 10:37 pm - MD

Thank you, Heather!  I'm going to check out your profile and then send you a PM with a BAZILLION questions, I'm sure.

I appreciate the info!

Hugs,

Tia

tdavison
on 4/11/13 1:53 am

I am in the same situation as you. We seem to be a small group of people. I too had gastric bypass in 2001. Was not 100% successful. long 100 lbs but couldn't keep it off gained a few pounds here and there then before you knew it 50 lbs was back. It seems as if the earlier gastric bypasses didn't have a lot of education. I thought the rest of my life would be like the first year. I never had any after care. I followed the guidelines I was given at the time. Well long story short I know am at 292 lbs and have been scheduled to have band over bypass April 24. Dr. Higa in Fresno specializes in revisions and is willing to do sleeve but I was scared of the complications and leak rate on revisions. I chose what was safest for me. I believe that this is the right path for me. I have cut out soda and made a commitment to exercise. I wish you luck in your journey and much success. 

BROWNIDGIRL
on 4/16/13 4:46 am - MD

Sorry for answering so late, but I just saw this message.  I hope your surgery is uneventful and your recovery quick!  Keep us posted!

Tia

Revising
on 5/2/13 3:06 am - FL
Hi. I am also scheduled for a BOB, how are you? How was it?
Most Active