How do you know??

Karina H.
on 3/31/13 2:04 am

How do you know if you need a revision? Or if your doctor will refer you for one? I had RNY 3 years ago and I feel as if I haven't even had surgery... 

I can eat anything and I feel no different than others like I used to...?

I need to do something, please help!

thinlizzie12
on 3/31/13 5:10 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I am band to DS. How much have you lost? I lost 20 friggin lbs with the band......and that was at 6 years with it. I had a time eating anything good for me. After my last unfill...because I was gurgling on liquids....that is when we started discussing revision. They wanted to sleeve me but I knew it was not just the amount of food I was eating...I was eating like a bird with the band. 

I was revised to the DS..my choice...on Jan 24th. I am now down to 190 lbs. 50 lbs down. I have a sleeve...and get full quick. But it is the malabsorbtion portion that is making a huge difference. I chose the DS because I was afraid of dumping an overall the switching they do just made more sense to me anatomically. You should post this on the DS forum. I know there are alot of RNYers to DS revisions. those are the ones you should ask. Good luck to you;)

Whit
on 3/31/13 6:23 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi,

RNY to DS person here. I was pretty successful with my RNY. I lost 110 pounds and was happy and healthy for about 5 years. Then I started to gain weight. I was basically compliant.  In the following 5 years not only did I gain 80 pounds I started to dump, developed Acid reflux, planter faicitas and I felt like such a failure. Very depressing...

I started researching surgical options. My RNY Dr. was not an option and most push ERNY or distal RNY. Mainly because they are not qualified to preform RNY to DS conversion.  This is what happened to me. I was fortunate that my insurance did not stipulate parameters as to BMI, limit procedures or some of the other common road blocks. 

You may need to find a Dr yourself and be prepared to travel for revision surgery by a reputable vetted surgeon.  Not all Dr's on dsfacts.com are vetted revision surgeons.  SmilieJamie posted a complete list (I'll try to find it).

In my opinion DS is the only successful option for RNY People.  To date I have not heard of one person who has had a RNY conversion to Distal or ERNY that has been satisfied long term.

Hopefully this helps. I am happy to answer any and all questions.

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Whit
on 3/31/13 6:32 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I copied this from Jamie...

http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

And..............................

RNY to DS revision surgeons

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada

Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4583840/dont-write-a-surgeon-off-because-hes-not-on-the-short-list/)

**Disclaimer..... Gagner has had some problems with questionable billing practices & Greenbaum has had some problems~like recent patients not getting a true DS [receiving an ERNY/Distal RNY instead].

PLEASE do your DUE DILIGENCE and research, and POST questions!!!!!!

Here are links to look at...........

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-to-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

AND

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Distal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/#36775292

AND

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1342&page=1

Karina H.
on 3/31/13 12:47 pm

Thanks for your help! A few questions:

How long in between surgeries was it for you?

What were the reasons they (doctors) gave you that RNY didn't work? I'm worried they're just gonna say you don't need a revision, just eat more protein and exercise. Like I haven't heard that before! lol

MsBatt
on 4/1/13 11:14 am
Whit
on 4/1/13 7:50 am
Revision on 12/10/12

It was about 10 years between surgeries.  I had documented medical reasons. I had been on Weigh****chers for over a year with no results which shows I have been trying to lose weight. 

Surgery is a last resort. I tried everything I could before i considered RNY to DS surgery.  Its not been fun or easy sailing for me. I feel like crap and can not eat very much. I am almost 4 months out and still have a feeding tube in my gut. 

It is normal for your stomach to stretch out and the more you stuff in it the more it will stretch. If you lost your weight and reached goal then gained you may not be approved due to non compliance. 

All I can say is to find out what your insurance covers and start from there.

Linda_S
on 4/1/13 5:33 pm - Eugene, OR

Whit - did you have a complication with your revision, or is the feeding tube standard issue?  I have been considering contacting Dr. Keshishian for a revision of RNY to DS.  I was a 'successful' RNY patient, but my current dumping/hypoglycemia is so bad that all I an eat is veggies (non-starchy ones) and protein.  I'm sick or asleep most of the time, and I've begun to gain weight.  I'm still about 65 pounds below my high weight, but I feel sick and horrible.

I'd appreciate anything you can tell me.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

ButterflyAna
on 4/3/13 9:02 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
For my Band Revision to Sleeve I just talked to my Dr. I had a lot of complications and could eat nothing with my band and I was still not losing weight. I was approved in 1 week and and the surgery that next Monday. I am only down 15 pounds but overall I am feeling better, but am still unable to keep mushies down.

Good Luck

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

Most Active