LAPBAND TO VGS REVISION? OR LAPBAND TO RNY REVISION?

thinlizzie12
on 3/28/13 2:43 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

The sleeve is the first part of the DS...please do your research before they cut. This is how I ended up on this board in the first place. The RNY and DS show pretty much same recovery time and BOTH have malabsorbtion. Please, really understand both surgeries you are contemplating. Go to the VSG board. Go to the RNY board...ask them if they have any regrets....I know you will find pros and cons in both....but this is why we are all here. To help each other out.....with the truth.

Sherrie P.
on 3/28/13 5:44 am, edited 3/28/13 5:46 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Hi there.

I am a band to RNY revision.

I am 7 weeks out and the reason I have lost weight is because I can eat 1/4 cup of food on a good sitting - you get the tiny pouch along with the malabsorption - once the body figures it out in a year or so, you don't have the malabsorption, but you DO have the tiny pouch if you played your cards right.

If you overeat consistently and stretch the pouch in the course of a year or two, you will then be stuck without  malabsorption AND a big stomach.  That all equals regain. Or certainly can...

I lost 27 pounds with the band (in 6 months or so??) - then gained it and 20 more.  It was a 7 year nightmare.

In 7 weeks I have lost 28 pounds with RNY (and 12 pre op).

I have NOTHING against the sleeve - and heck, I would have seriously considered the DS, but my insurance would only cover it if your BMI was 50 (mine was like 42).

I chose the RNY because it was the "gold standard" and because I thought the malapsorption would help me get some weight off fast and keep it off.  We will see!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/13 1:02 pm - Springfield, IL
Revision on 03/04/13

I am just about a month out from my revision.  I went from the band to RNY.  My suggestion would be to talk it over with your doctor.  My weight being so high my doctor suggested that the RNY would be the better option for me.  Right now i am down 30 pounds.  Thats just my two cents.  Your docotor should be able to recommend what the best option would be for you.

Cherokeesage
on 3/30/13 10:33 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I chose revision to RNY because this is what my surgeon felt was my best option for success.  I have the early stages of Chron's disease that had already created malabsorption problems for me due to rapid transit. It was so bad that I couldn't leave the house.   It went into remission after being banded in 2008 and thus far has stayed in remission.  I believe it is due to eating the small protein first meals.  My entire digestive system has been better since 2008 and especially since the RNY one year ago. 

My surgeon has worked in a Center of Excellence long before it became mandatory by insurance companies.  He has close to 30 years of bariatric experience.  He keeps in contact with his post ops and has a well rounded program from start to finish in response to the knowledge he has obtained.  Thus I trusted his input. 

In addition to this trust and the education I received from him,  I have friends that go back as far as 1991 that have had RNY.  This was their only option back then.  They have maintained their wt loss.  I now have numerous friends of all ages and various WL procedures since joining support groups in 2006.  Thus, what I say is taken from years of observance when I say, " Any of the WLS can fail if the person doesn't change their relationship with food."  

It is important to stay vigilant with eating small protein first meals, drink the water, take the vitamins and exercise.  The exercise is my weak area due to Fibromyalgia and arthritis in the knees.  I am fully aware that I will eventually absorb more calories.  Thus I use my post op time to form new eating habits.  I have to look at my relationship to food in a different way and make lifestyle changes to incorporate some form of exercise. 

I don't know where I'll be in the future but I do know from numerous successful RNY, DS, and Sleeve friends that I can be successful too.  Yes, I am terrified of regain so I watch what I eat.   These surgeries truly are a tool.  The tool will not work by itself.  Wishing you success in whatever surgery you and your surgeon agree upon.  Educate yourself well and do go to each forum and see what post ops are saying.  You will not find any forum that contains 100% success stories.  You will read those that feel what they have done is superior to all else and those that have regrets.  Decide on the best revision and follow the guidelines that make that surgery work.    

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

pineview01
on 3/31/13 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

I am a lap band to sleeve.  I chose the sleeve as I did well with portion control with the band.  I lost and gained back with the band when I started having issues with the band.  I could have had a band to RNY 18 months sooner but, chose to keep fighting with the band until the insurance covered the sleeve.  I didn't want the malabsorption of nutrients and losing the malabsorption of calories.  

With the sleeve if I did need malabsorption I would convert to a DS and not a RNY down the road.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ButterflyAna
on 4/4/13 8:49 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I was banded on 4/2008 and had nothing but complications, had my band removed and replaced and then had a flipped port again. I was converted to the sleeve 4 weeks ago. I am still having a hard time keeping mushies down but am doing better with my protein and water.
My doctor said that having the RNY was dangerous when replacing a failed band that had so many problems. He said that the scar tissue would make it more dangeous than on a virgin stomache.

Good Luck on your new journey.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

sfayad
on 12/29/15 5:39 pm - Canada

Hi Michelle : 

im in the same position. I had a lap band that was nothing but a disaster for me all it did was cause complication and cause me to vomit at every situation. 

Im booked for surgery Jan 25/2016 to have the band removed and revision to RNY. 

Ive decided that if I'm having bariatric surgery I'm going to have the surgery that will give me the most success. My surgeon gave me the percentages 

lapband 41%

bariatric sleeve 88%

RNY 98.6%

the most successful is the RNY but it's also the most radical of surgeries. The sleeve and RNY are not reversible and with the RNY you doomed to a life of supplements the rest of your life. 

Im 6ft 1 and 313 lbs so my goal weight is 195. 

No surgery but the Sleeve and RNY are capable of such results. With the RNY being the surgery with the most success. 

My goal is to look good yes. !!!! 

But more I want to have a healthy future, I've also learned most of all is this is tool and with compliance and structure it will allow me to return to the life I want. 

THIS IS FOR ME AND ME ALONE. 

Do your research and be prepared for the surgery for what ever one you pic. What ever you choose look at the surgery and your goals and you will choose what's right for you.  

Good luck into your journey and whatever you do make sure it's for you. 

Good luck 

Simon 

Most Active