slower weight loss with revision

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/4/13 10:03 am

You are thinking more clearly than the surgeon, in wanting to make your sleeve work when you already have a low bmi. The problem is, re-sleeves aren't done often, but should be done by one of the more skilled revision guys like Kesheshian or Rabkin. They can be prone to leaks. Most surgeons only know RNY, so every thing that comes to them looks "like a nail, because all they have is that hammer/RNY" to fix things. 

I'm not sure I'd want a malabsorptive surgery either if I had a starting BMI that low, but I do know many who have had the DS with a low bmi, and are rocking it. If I was going to get either malabsorpive surgery (rny or DS) I wouldn't even consider rny if DS was available, ESPECIALLY if I already had half the the superior surgery. 

If it were me, I'd ask for a custom DS with the common channel left a bit longer (like 125 or 150, instead of 75 or 100), stomach left alone, so it wouldn't be quite as powerful as the regular DS, and retain my own pyloric valve. Normal eating, less issues with any foods, likely fewer supplements than with regular DS or RNY. That would be my dream even now, and if I didn't have such a stubborn metabolism that is what I'd have opted for right from the beginning.

Whatever you do, I hope you find a good solution that you can live happily with.

rows4u
on 4/9/13 12:50 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

I just had my revision surgery from Gastric Sleeve to the Gastric bypass. I am 4 weeks out and 1 day and have lost 24lbs. I have stalled for the past week and it's killing me. I haven't been strict on meeting my fluids or protein and think that has a lot to do with it. I've even been to  the gym 6 out of 8 days. I was about to ask the same question about stalling and revision because I'm more than frustrated about staying at the same weight so early on after the surgery where as my first surgery it was dropping off like crazy the first 6 months!

Srg2
on 3/27/13 6:27 am - CA

I think every doctor has a different opinion about this.  Mine told me it would be about the same (as far as speed of losing) as long as I stuck to the plan.

Ema

~Ema

Revision - Lapband to RNY 3/15/2013 = Highest weight: 244 lbs, Surgery weight: 230 lbs, Goal Weight: 130         

thinlizzie12
on 3/27/13 6:47 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

My doc told me the slow wt loss for revision really wasn't for banded people. There is no re-routing wither...but depends on how much you lost with the band as well. I lost 20 lbs with the band and that was for 6 years. I am a band to DS and have lost 46 lbs in 2 months....fastest weight I've lost.

lovelybones11
on 4/4/13 3:09 am

Hello,

I am considering a revision... Sleeve to Duodental Switch. With the sleeve I lost 100lbs and it just shut off. Now I am back to eating regular and regaining weight after only a year. i have not lost any weight since 5 mos after my surgery. If you had to do the revision over for the DS, would you do it? I am concerned and very afraid. Please help.

Happy Gurl
on 3/27/13 8:53 am
VSG on 10/26/12

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that a lot of us were much heavier when we had our first surgery (in other words, kept some of the weight off), than we were by the time we have the second surgery.  So of course a 400 lb person will lose more weight than a 250 pound one will.  Just my two cents:)

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

pineview01
on 3/31/13 2:48 pm - Davison, MI

LIKE!

Yes, I'm losing slower with the revision but, started 60 pounds less.  At 2 months with the sleeve I was below the lowest I was ever with the band for 4 years.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Whit
on 3/27/13 10:08 am
Revision on 12/10/12

HI,

I was revised from RNY to DS on Dec 10th.  So I am about 15 weeks out and down 55 pounds. I have been losing a pound a week the past 3 weeks but hey I am ok with that. I only have 35 or so more to go.  As long as the scale goes in the right direction I am happy.

Best,

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

lovelybones11
on 4/4/13 3:11 am

Hi!

I am considering revision from the sleeve to the DS. I am very nervous and afraid. If you had to redo the revision knowing what you know now, would you honestly do it?

Whit
on 4/11/13 2:19 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

Lovelyones1,

Yes absolutely. Remember I am only 4 months out. It's hard to say how I will feel a year from now. 

good luck

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active