slower weight loss with revision

vfharriman
on 3/26/13 12:49 am

I have heard that there is no scientific study to back this up, but I have been told by someone that was told by their doctor that weight loss is slower after revision. The same level of weight loss is possible, but it will just take longer. Anyone else ever been told that? Anyone else experiencing that?

Tracy G.
on 3/26/13 4:44 am - Elkridge, MD
Revision on 04/04/13

I know I have read that in different places.  I was told by my nutritionist that I could still lose the same amount of weight as I did in the original surgery but most likely at a slower rate and not as much.  Though she did say it depends on how dedicated you are. For me I know I have picked up bad habits.  Snacking, overeating, bad food choices etc and that has helped me get to where I am today (-55 pounds from my heaviest and +65 from my lightest.

Happy Gurl
on 3/26/13 7:09 am
VSG on 10/26/12

I had a revision from the band to VSG.  It's been five months today and I've lost 61 lbs so far.  I was told it would be slower as well, but if you look at my stats I'm moving along nicely.  I just know that without the revision I would have been gaining more and more weight.  There are lots of factors that can slow your weight down: your age, gender, activity level, amount/types of things you're eating, etc.  Good luck to you:)   

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

vfharriman
on 3/26/13 7:40 am

Mine was also a revision from the band to VSG. I'm about 3 months and a week post-op. I've been hovering between 50 and 54 pounds lost for 2 1/2 weeks. This is my second plateau. The other one lasted about 3 weeks. I'm just getting frustrated. Thanks for your input and good luck to you as well.

pineview01
on 4/4/13 2:28 pm - Davison, MI

I too am band to VSG.  I'm one of the slower ones.  I"m 2.5 months out and only down ~ 20 pounds. But, am 5 pounds lower than my lowest with the band.  I started at a much lower bmi this time.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ginau
on 3/26/13 1:02 pm - mesa, AZ

I am a ERNY  frofm a rny -- loss is slower  but worth it ...  depends on what type of revision your having.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

hsrunner
on 3/27/13 4:58 am

I had a verticle sleeve 5 years ago.  I lost about 60 lbs overall.  I have been slowly gaining the weight back for the last year.  I went back to my bariatric doctor and he said he would do a revision but only to a Gastric bypass.  I am 60 lbs over weight and am concerned with a BMI of 32 I might loose to much.  I had wanted just to get my sleeve redone but the doctors says they do not do that.  Any help?

vfharriman
on 3/27/13 11:47 am

When I had my big discussion visit with my doctor pre-op, we discussed the differenced and pros/cons. I chose to go with the VSG because it was less invasive, had fewer possible side-effects, and had very similar results as the RNY. I was concerned that the sleeve may not have been 'drastic' enough for me to have success. He told me that we could go with the sleeve and if for some reason it didn't work, even though he felt that it would, the VSG could be revised to a RNY.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/1/13 12:57 am

My issue would be with the surgeon that would revise a sleeve, to a RNY. They have comparable succuss, but the sleeve has fewer issues.  IMNSHO going to RNY would be a downgrade. If you need the help of malabsorption, then the DS is the logical choice, not only because it is the most successful WLS, but because you already have the stomach part! 

Not only that, but once they cut that sleeve up into a pouch, it's likely you may not have enough stomach tissue left to revise later if the RNY doesn't work for you, as it doesn't for too many.

You need to talk to a surgeon that knows sleeves and DS (even if that's not what you want) so you can get an unbiased opinion.

Have you ever heard "When all you have is a hammer in your toolbox, every problem looks like a nail"? Well, your surgeon only has RNY in his toolbox. You need some unbiased advice because it is you, not him, that has to live with this surgery for the rest of you life.

hsrunner
on 4/3/13 11:38 pm

I went back to my original bariatric surgeon and he said that since my BMI was 32 he would not be able to do an RNY.  He never even talked to me about a DS.  I asked about re sleeve because I am able to eat anything in any amounts (no Restrictions).  He said that he had never attempted a re sleeve  and felt it would not solve any of my issues.  I have extreme heart burn and weight gain from my original surgery. Anyone with any suggestions?

Most Active