Considering RNY to DS...

MsBatt
on 3/24/13 6:45 am

There's a big difference between a revision and a reversal. A revision is what you want, and your best bet is to get your RNY revised to a DS. However, there are only a handful of surgeons qualified to do this. Smileyjaime has a post here somewhere that lists them all. (OH really should make that post a sticky!)

humbel
on 3/24/13 12:47 pm - Birmingham, MI

Yes, I agree Ms Batt, a sticky on that topic would be immensely helpful!!!

Has anyone heard of :

Mustafa A. Hares, MD, FACS ???

He works out of St John Providence Health System in Warren, MI.

From the research I've done on him, he seems to be qualified and skilled in DS surgery...

Any info on DS surgeons in Michigan would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Whit
on 3/24/13 1:00 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

Paul Kemmeter, MD, FACS *

St. Mary's Health Care, Bariatric Program
200 Jefferson Ave S.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Phone: 616-685-3333
Web Site: Grand Health Partners
Phone: 616-956-6100 or 1-888-691-0050 toll free
Fax: 616-956-6637

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

LEE
on 3/24/13 9:59 am

I have Kaiser, they refused to pay for my revision so I am self pay $40,000.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
humbel
on 3/24/13 12:35 pm, edited 3/24/13 12:38 pm - Birmingham, MI

Hello there tswhitaker,

I can completely relate to your situation in every way...  except for the fact that after my surgery, I lost 38 lbs, and I have gained back all but 8 of it, so I completely know where you're coming from. Right from the start, it just didn't seem to work for me in the same way it worked for others... I can't quit eating the wrong foods, either!!! I have tried, and I just get depressed and go back to what comforts me - food.  After I realized that I could consume large amounts of food as I could before surgery, I pretty much just gave up. Plus, I can eat all the sugar I want, which I so hoped that I would be prevented from doing! Anyway, thank you for the reply, I am looking to do a revision from RNY to DS... so as Ms Batt says (thank you, btw, Ms Batt!) this may also be in your best interest.... though much research and consultation with Doctors would be needed to determine this. I am hoping and praying that my insurance company will cover a revision to the DS. I am going to try my best to make it happen, because my back hurts, my knees are hurting again, and I'm having trouble getting around as well as I need to with 2 small children in my care.

Best wishes to you,

~Leslie

humbel
on 3/24/13 12:42 pm - Birmingham, MI

And Lee,

That really sucks that your insurance company denied you, and that you are self-pay!!! There is no way I could have a revision unless my insurance company approves it...

Best of luck,

~ Leslie

LEE
on 3/24/13 2:21 pm

Yeah it does suck Humbel, there are some people that I know that try to fight it with no success and I am not interested in spending 4 or 5 years fighting to hear no over and over again.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
smileyjamie72
on 3/24/13 4:14 pm - Palmer, AK

I am an RNY to DS revision............. I was 'on the fence' with my decision, (I was still blaming MYSELF for failing, when, in fact my RNY failed me).  After I read the link listed below, I realized I needed to stop beating myself up, and get the revision.

http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

And..............................

RNY to DS revision surgeons

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada

Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4583840/dont-write-a-surgeon-off-because-hes-not-on-the-short-list/)

**Disclaimer..... Gagner has had some problems with questionable billing practices & Greenbaum has had some problems~like recent patients not getting a true DS [receiving an ERNY/Distal RNY instead].

PLEASE do your DUE DILIGENCE and research, and POST questions!!!!!!

Here are links to look at...........

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-to-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

AND

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Distal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/#36775292

AND

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1342&page=1

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

jzwife
on 3/25/13 8:00 am

I will keep this short as I am still in the healing process and I'm not good for very long.

I too had the RNY and lost 50lbs. Not far out after surgery the weight loss came to a halt. i was stunned- I was trying to be compliant but never really dumped and felt I could eat more than should be able to. I eventually found out I had a fistula meaning that my bypassed stomach had reattached itself to the old stomach so my food was going back into my old stomach. I had tried pursuing different avenues to see how I could correct it.

Several months back I decided to get serious and see what could be done. I went to one Dr who was willing to go in and fix the problem. My insurance balked at the idea and sent me out to the military hospital which turned out to be the greatest blessing ever.

After many tests it was determined that it couldn't be fixed with a simple fix. By then I had decided I wanted to  revise to a DS. My surgeon- who has been doing weight loss surgery for 40 years (he's 67!!!) felt that the very best surgery for me would be the DS. He's done a lot of DS surgeries and had great results. They wanted to make sure I didn't have too much scar tissue which would prevent the surgery.When I came out of surgery all went well and was good to go. I am now  a true DSr and  so happy to have it behind me, so grateful for a wonderful skilled surgeon and team who made it happen.

I hope this makes sense- I have been home from the hospital for 2  days now so still a little weak. I have no regrets- just wish I had found the answer sooner. Pursue every avenue to make sure there isn't a physical reason as to why it didn't work. It could be many things that caused it go wrong then go for a revision if thats what you feel will help you the most!

Good luck!

Sharon

_Donna_
on 3/26/13 1:43 am

Don't get me wrong because I am visiting this board for insight on a possible revision too..... For those of you that said you "just cant stop eating the wrong foods", would another surgery really fix the problem? Maybe a support group and dietitian counseling would be better for you.

RNY 5-5-2011

Most Active