Considering RNY to DS...

humbel
on 3/23/13 11:56 am - Birmingham, MI

I have pretty much failed at WLS. I am less than 10 lbs away from weighing what I did the day I had my surgery.

but I must wonder... was it really ME who failed? or did the surgery fail me??? I have felt from the very beginning that I could eat quite a bit more than others who'd had the surgery. I could eat more, do not dump, and have never stopped feeling hungry... I had marginal ulcers and a stricture that was repaired - both shortly after my RNY. I have just always felt like something went wrong... Does anyone else have an experience similar to this? I am considering revision to the DS... but its another surgery, and I've had quite a few of them. Not sure what to do...

Any advice and/or info would be greatly appreciated!

Lynn W.
on 3/23/13 2:45 pm - NJ

I could've written this post.

Trust me, you aren't alone. There are lots of people in the same situation. Browse this board; you'll find lots of good info and many supportive folks.

Blessings to you...

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

LEE
on 3/24/13 1:57 am

Hi Lynn

I was thin for one summer with my rny before the weight started piling  No matter what I did I could not stop the gain, now I am 3 days away from my revision from my broken rny to the ds.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Lynn W.
on 3/24/13 5:38 am - NJ

Hi Lee,

I'm so happy for you!  I'm going to live vicariously thru you until I can get my own revision (so be sure to approve my friend request!).

Blessings for the journey ahead!

Lynn 

LEE
on 3/24/13 9:58 am

Friend Request accepted.  Do you have a surgery date yet?

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Lynn W.
on 3/24/13 11:06 am - NJ

Not yet. I'm scheduled for my initial consult on April 9th.  

And thanks!

humbel
on 3/24/13 12:23 pm - Birmingham, MI

Thank you so very much, Lynn...

It is incredibly helpful to know that I am not alone. I have felt so discouraged right from the very beginning when i realized that I wasn't losing weight like so many others do after the RNY. I think being overweight has taught many of us how to beat ourselves up emotionally... at least it's certainly true for me! And it isn't at all helpful... I have only very recently started thinking that maybe it wasn't really entirely all my fault! I've been reading through the posts here, and it's amazing to see that others seem to be having the same experiences as myself. I am wondering if the surgery reversed itself - like another poster stated... something about the pouch having reattached to the old stomach? I also wonder how they would find this out? I have annual EGD's due to having Barrett's esophagus... so I wonder if the Dr who performed this would have seen from the EGD if this were the case? I guess I'm just thinking out loud here!

Anyway, thanks again for your kind words and your blessings...

Also, I was wondering if it would be okay for me to add you as a friend? It seems that we're in similar situations, so I could use friends like you...

Sincerely,

~ Leslie

Lynn W.
on 3/24/13 1:28 pm - NJ
Absolutely!!!

Lynn 

Lynn W.
on 3/24/13 10:40 pm - NJ

I went ahead and added you as a friend. We'll be connected once you approve!  Yay!

tswhitaker
on 3/24/13 1:46 am

I had bypass surgery in 2003 I weighed 273 lbs I lost down to about 203 in about 6 months and then went to a stand still.  I have always thought I could eat to much I told my Dr at my 6 week check up that I could eat a plate of food and most people I knew that had had this surgery could only eat about a handful of food.  Unfortuntely I didnt have that problem.  Its been 10 years now and I weigh about 230 and feel like such a failure.  I am looking into getting revision surgery I turned 50 this year and it has been a real eye opener, but I just cant quit eating the wrong foods. 

Does anyone know if insurance will pay for a reversal and if it is possible to do this.

Thank you

Most Active