Completely Overwhelmed

FoxieRoxie
on 3/21/13 3:16 am - TX

So I've been off and on OH through the years. In 2004, I had a gastric band put in.  Super long story short, 8 years and 4 doctors later, I'm considering revision. Actually, my intention with making the call to my "current" surgeon came about because I just wanted this thing out of me...period.  Of course before my appointment I began researching the Sleeve and RNY and after my consultation I'm definitely considering a revision.  HOWEVER....I really went in armed with Sleeve & RNY information.  I was completely caught off guard when the surgeon told me that because I'm hedging a 50 BMI that the DS is what he would recommend. 

Um...that was never on my radar because it just seemed so radical at face value.  I left his office with the self-imposed charge to research the hell out of DS.  And frankly....it scares me.  I don't know if I am simply overwhelmed with information and I feel like this is an impossible lifestyle for me to live or what.  I've gone to dsfacts.com and have read other articles and I just feel lost.

The whole vitamin regime seems overwhelming in itself: dry  D. K, E; don't mix zinc with " X", don't mix "X" with "Y"; etc...  Then there's the poop issue.  Define "big poo"...What's that mean?  Are there several a day?  Am I going to be able to hold it or am I going to mess myself?  Is there warning like cramping or something if you feel a poop coming?  Uggg..

Then I read the post on "conversations to have with your PCP" on dsfacts.com and I was left really feeling ..... speechless.  How often do DSers have to defend themselves with their PCP?  Does your PCP do your bloodwork normally?  If not, who does it and how often?  What about finding a nut that knows what they're doing with DS patients?  How often does one normally see their nut? What if your WLS surgeon dies or retires...who would your PCP work with then?

I don't know.  I know a lots of Sleevers and RNY-ers, but I honestly don't personally know (that I know of!) any DSers whom I can even sit down to chat with.  I hope that what I'm working through is normal...or is it not and this surgery is just not for me?

Sincerely lost,

FoxieRoxie

clpeltz
on 3/21/13 10:06 am

It is definitely a lot to take in.  Post this over on the DS forum as well.  What surgeon are to going to?  The vitamin regimen can be  a lot, but there is a great starting point with the vitalady DS pre-packaged packs:

https://vitalady.com/vitanews/pre-packaged-regimens/

For the first year, you will get labs done every 3 months and then every 6 months thereafter.  I have my PCP pull all my labs.  You might have to visit a couple different PCP to find one that will work with you.  Most doctors are not familiar with what we need post-op and balk at the amounts of supplements we take and the amount of labs we need.  We often do have to be our own advocates.  The best way to get your PCP on board is to come to him/her well educated on your procedure and what you need.  Vitalady has good information.  The DS forum here and on Facebook are great support areas to help you navigate the waters.  There are many who have gone before us and have lived the DS for a long time and know what we need.  It is all very doable.  

As for BMs...I have never had much trouble and truthfully, most DSers have more trouble with constipation than loose stool.  Everyone is a bit different.  Personally, I go a couple times a day, but it is normal and I don't have any issues with incontinence at all.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Most Active