RNY to DS

Nancy G.
on 3/19/13 11:10 pm - La Salle, IL

Hi Everyone

I am 5 years out from my RNY.  It was considered successful as I lost 125 pounds but I still had almost another 100 to go.  Unfortunately, that did not happen and over the last few years I have regained about 30 lbs.  I did not choose DS at the time of my first surgery as it was considered experimental and my insurance balked at the idea. 

I have always regretted not having DS originally.  Now my question that I have been contemplating for a couple of years is:  Should I get a revision to DS.  I have a problem with carbs.  I know that.  Will the DS allow me any different alternatives or will I overeat this surgery as well.  What are the risks of a revision.  I know this is a more complicated surgery.  Is it worth the risks? 

I realize no one can make this choice but me but I would like to hear from some of you who have "been there and done that"  Thanks to everyone for their input! 

Cat Lady

Lynn W.
on 3/19/13 11:18 pm - NJ

Hi Nancy,

I think you'll find that you're in good company among folks pursing that option (myself included). Browse this board for similar posts... theres a lot of good info here.

Best wishes for the journey...

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Hislady
on 3/20/13 8:12 am - Vancouver, WA

Also ask on the DS forum they can tell you anything you need to know and who the best revision surgeons are, I know it takes a very specialized doc to do it well.

Ladytazz
on 3/21/13 12:55 pm

The short answer is that there is no WLS that malabsorbs simple carbs.  In all WLS, including the DS, simple carbs are absorbed 100%.  However complex carbs are malabsorbed and along with all the other malabsorption it is more forgiving of imperfect eating.  Meaning that the amount of other things that aren't absorbed with help offset some of the things that are.  However, if you have a diet exclusively of simple carbs then you can't count on any WLS helping you in the end.  If you can follow the rules of eating protein first then that may help you not eat as many simple carbs, thus helping you with weight loss.

Also, like the RNY and dumping, the DS has consequences for many who over  indulge in refined carbs including increased gas, bloating, odorous flatuance and diarrhea.  For many those side effects helps keep them from over indulging as it may cause issues socially or at work as well as increased pain and discomfort.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 3/22/13 3:02 am

I'm NOT a revision patient. My DS was done 9 years ago, and is my only WLS. That said, I give thanks for it each and every day.

With my DS, I malabsorb about 40% of the complex carbs I eat, as well as about 50% of the protein and 80% of the fat. This means that as long as I eat a high-protein, high-fat, moderate-carb diet, I can eat pretty much anything I want. Excessive simple carbs will give me excessive, stinky gas and, sometimes, cause multiple BMs. NOT diarrhea, just multiple stools, and, strangely, sometimes constipation. Excessive simple carbs also make my clothes get tight. (*grin*) But the wonderful thing is---if I cut back on them, my clothes get loose again!

Seriously, I'm convinced that with any other form of WLS I'd once again be big as a house. With my DS, maintaining my loss is pretty effortless.

Most Active