Lapband revision to Sleeve vs. RNY- What was motivator to choose one over other?

pineview01
on 3/31/13 2:25 pm - Davison, MI

What Ashley said!

At 2 months out with the sleeve I was at the lowest I had gotten with the band.  The sleeve is doing what I thought the band would.  I am also doing it with out all the fills and unfills.

I have walked in your shoes.  The surgeon agreed that the sleeve was the best way to go based on who I did with the band.  (The surgeon pushing the RNY had left.)

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ohbearly
on 4/2/13 11:11 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Ashley, Thanks for your response. I was happy with my band. My weight dropepd and it stayed off. I was doing great with it. Then, the acid reflux started. In the past 6 months, I have bee through so many tests and office visits. I am just disheartened with my curent state. I havea surgeon's appointment this Friday. I am hoping for some direction. I thought that woudl happen at my last visit but he chose to try yet anoher fill. I need to be more forceful I think. Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

pineview01
on 4/3/13 4:20 am - Davison, MI

Tom the worst thing he could do was a fill.  Really!  You  need a total unfill and a scope to see inside with a GI doc.   I am very concerned with a surgeon that would give you a fill.  Mine did the same thing until the PA stepped in and told him a fill was the last thing I needed and talked him into the total unfill and scope.  (Behind closed doors of course can't hurt the surgeons feelings ) I had to have two totally unfills.  Than they slowly did the last total unfill over 9 months.  It would get better than get worse another unfill get better than get worse until total unfill and band removal.

Based on your history I would get the band removed wait and than get a sleeve.

Good luck and remember you need to arm yourself and be your own advocate.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ohbearly
on 4/3/13 10:00 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Prior to this fill, I had all fill removed for a month or so. During that time, the surgeon did an upper GI and EGD (endoscopy). It was after the EGD that he personally supervised an upper GI. At that time he tried different fill levels and found out there was no movement thru the band with as little as 3cc in a 14cc band. Rememberthat I have been at 8.3cc for years. . He then left me with 1 cc. In my office appt 2 weeks later he said he wanted to try a gradual fill since an associate of his says it sometimes works. He told me at that time it was a partnership with him and I. He told me I should let him know if discomfort returns.

Well, today I had my worst experience in 5 years. I had a lunch with cup of soup with beef in it. I have been avoiding lean proteins. I made sure I thoroughy chewed it. 1 hour later I became so miserable that I went home sick. I am still experiencing some pain tonight and have not eaten. I now know at my Friday appointment with him that I want no more fills. Something is definitely wring.

It will be intersting to see how our discussion goes. I know I want no part of this gradual fill exercise. I habe already been researchoing other local bariatic surgeons. Depending onthsi frdiay's outcome, I t may be making an appointmentto get a seceond opinion.

pineview01
on 4/4/13 2:18 pm - Davison, MI

I feel your pain!  Sounds familiar.  I wish I knew how to scan in photos and post them.  I have a photo of my tummy after band removal and you can see why I was tight even with out fill.  I was permanently tight were the  band was.  Even with it gone I could eat lean protein for over 2 months and at times even thru the whole 4.5 months.

ohbearly
on 4/4/13 8:17 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Called my bariatric center and found out my appointment today was with the nurse practitioner. She told me they had planned to put another 2cc in the band. I described my symptoms since the last fill. She agreed it would not be a good idea. They are rescheduling an appointment with my surgeon next week.  -- Tom

pineview01
on 4/5/13 1:23 am - Davison, MI

Good catch!

Cherokeesage
on 4/1/13 3:43 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I chose the band because I have early stages of Chron's disease and wanted something that could be removed if necessary due to the CD.  I was totally happy with the band and the progress I was making until it slipped.  It really hurt after that, had heart burn so bad that I had to sleep with my head raised, left side shoulder pain, back pain, and I never knew when I could hold food or liquid down.  One meal I could eat and another time I could take a drink of water and have it come gushing back up without any control.  I never reached the full fill of my band so really thought the sleeve might work for me since the band was working till the slip but in the long run decided to go with more restriction and pray for the best.   I didn't do anything for a few months until I did a lot of research and then had the band removed and RNY in one surgery.  It was such sweet relief.  Wishing you all the best in whatever happens.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active