Lapband revision to Sleeve vs. RNY- What was motivator to choose one over other?

ohbearly
on 3/19/13 5:04 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

For those who have undergone a revision from a Lapband to either RNY or the sleeve, that was the primary reason you chose one over the other?

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

scarlettbegonias
on 3/19/13 10:46 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I opted for sleeve- because the DS is near impossible to get done here on the proviso if it wasn't working as a revision I could upgrade to the DS.

surgeon fcked up during my sleeve op, the bougie moved and I lost a pie slice out of the middle of my stomach. 

I have a resectional rny- they had to remove the excess stomach due to damage which I'm 90% happy with,I have watched a few people who I met in hospital that were revisions to sleeve struggle with losing but then I've seen others that have done exceptionally well, I really resented having that choice taken from me and I was initially extremely anti rny, I've had a few issues and really wasn't able to exercise in the first 3.5 -4 months but my weightloss at 5 months is about what my weightloss with the band was at 9 months and I exercised every single day with the band.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Lisa Tucker
on 3/19/13 11:01 pm - Streator, IL
Revision on 04/19/13

I have not had my revision yet. I am waiting for 1 more clearance. My doctor recommeded gastric bypass over the sleeve. He feels that the tried and true is the way to go.

LISA

sfnativewm
on 3/20/13 12:29 am

I am in the process of band to sleeve.   One main reason is that once I retire in 10 years, I will not really have enough money to take the daily vitamins and iron required to take with rny.

I wish the band would have worked, but did not.  At this point the port is ripping the hell out of me with a variety of moves through out the day.   Also I only have begun to lose weight following the Virgin Diet ( no corn, soy, sugar, and only grass fed beef, and free range chicken not fed corn)    Not losing was so frustrating to me and a special dietition at Kaiser helped me out due to the fact that I was an ibs sufferer.

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

thinlizzie12
on 3/20/13 1:00 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I chose the band to DS because I knew what restriction was...by my restriction I mean the amount of food I was able to eat. I couldn't eat alot for 6 years and lost 20 lbs with the band. After doing research my doc wanted me to look into the sleeve. It made alot more sense than the band and knew I had to go this route. The DS is a sleeve with re routing to help you pass fats amongst other things. this made more sense to me. I knew my metabolism was whacked and opted for the DS. It will be 2 months on the 24th...down 43 lbs. I couldn't be more happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TamaraL
on 3/20/13 11:01 am

at the time of my revision sleeve was not covered by insurance #1.  #2 was i had had severe, severe heartburn with the lap band and surgeon felt like i was at risk for heart burn with the sleeve.

If my insurance covered the sleeve it would have been a hard choice. one of my co workers had lap band done in 2008 and me in 2009.  i already had a revision and now she is going for hers.  i am really encouraging her to look at both.

tamara

ohbearly
on 3/21/13 10:17 pm, edited 3/21/13 10:17 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

I am not certain I am headed to a revision but it looks like a possibility. I have been having severe heartburn and after months of unfills and fills, all the fluid was removed. Many upper GIs and EDG later, it's being slowly refilled. It's frustrating. My surgeon did mention that RNY was most likely my best choice. Just like Lisa's surgeon, he said it is the tried and true WLS. Anyway, I am now on a cycle of fills now to see what happens. Frustrating.

sfnativewm
on 3/21/13 11:49 pm

Tom, talk to JeanM  from the lap band forum.   She I believe had the same problem.   She is one that truely does all the research and homework regarding wls and I am sure can be a great help!

Too much heartburn can cause a lot of damage, don't wait too long to get the band out!

Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

ohbearly
on 3/22/13 1:44 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Thanks. Jean has been discussing this with me. My situation sounds similar to her story. It is frustrating after 4 trouble free years and working great Nd feeling great that this happened. Tom

Ashley A.
on 3/29/13 5:10 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

I had my band for 3 1/2 years, never really had issues up until around the 2 1/2 year mark, started developing heartburn and acid reflux and went through the unfill/fill process several times for months. My surgeon and I finally decided a revision to the sleeve would be best. I went with the sleeve because I knew I could lose the weight and maintain with a restrictive only procedure since I did  well with the band. Since having the sleeve for almost 9 months now, it is very similar to the restriction I experienced when I had optimal restriction with the band and the reflux hasn't been bad anymore at all. I know how frustrating this process can be! Hang in there and Good Luck!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Most Active