Inquiring about my optons - 11 years post RNY, weight regain

daisies76
on 3/18/13 1:48 pm, edited 5/13/13 10:34 am

Hi there,  I am new to the board and looking for some help.  I had RNY gastric bypass about 10 years ago and lost about 92lbs. My goal was to lose about 110lbs so I was close.Over the years I have regained weight, not everything but maybe half.  I am currently 5'3 and 180lbs.  I initially had my surgery at about 227lbs and got down to about 135. 

I wanted to find out if I would be able to get the lapband after RNY. I think I have heard of others doing that but I wanted to ask about that.  I dont know if I should seek a revision, or what my options may be.   My BMI is currently 32.  I would be a self pay, so would not be going through insurance.  Ive moved from my original area so I am not able to go back to my original surgeon, I now live in Colorado.  (Surgery was in Florida)  

I have been unsuccessful in other diets since my surgery, everything I try I just tend to gain more afterwards.  Any information that you can provide will be helpful. 

Thanks. 

kimorris
on 3/20/13 4:32 am

Hi I too am new to the board. My original bypass was about 13 years ago. I am having a revision of my rny done on March 26.  I too have regained  most if not all of my weight. I am able to eat anything and vast amounts....so i decided to get my pouch made smaller to like it was when i first had the surgery. I could have the doctor do a lapband over it but that is not something I want...but i know it is possible. I hope this helped a little.

who knows
on 3/20/13 9:58 am

i will join in here........i am 12 yrs out of RNY also. i recently learned of some health issues i am having are due to vit dificiencys. i am going to get myself back on tract with that first then possibly look into a revision.  from what i have rad on here the better choice is revisin rny to DS.  KIM: did you revise to DS or hat exactly did you have done revison wise.  has the revisoin allowed you to lose again?  anyway, wanted to put my story out there. i am in th boat with you all.

kimorris
on 3/20/13 11:36 pm

My revision is scheduled for this tuesday. My pouch will be made smaller and my loop will be redone in the process. I intend to really work it this time by eating right and excercise something i didnt do the first time around.

heathercross
on 3/20/13 9:53 pm - New York, NY

Its called a BOB - band over bypass. I had my RNY in 2002. I went from 305 to 175. I regainned - starting in 2007 - all the way back up to 250.  In June of 2011, I had a Band installed (BOB) and I am now at 175.  I love my band.  It gives me restriction and I am not hungry. I am almost 2 yrs post op band and 11 yrs post-op RNY.  Read my profile, let me know if you have any questions.

heathercross
on 3/20/13 10:00 pm - New York, NY

I just posted new pics too!

mysister2001
on 4/16/13 11:13 am

There is also a procedure called the R O S E  for rny regain check it out.

daisies76
on 5/13/13 10:33 am, edited 5/13/13 10:34 am

I did it, I got the BOB (Band over Bypass) on 5/10/2013, so I will let you know how it progresses.  Right now I am extremely sore and and swollen, but I am only 3 days post op. 

Anyone feel free to message me if you have any questions.  I have been very thankful for those that have responded to my questions during my research phase and would be happy do do the same as time goes on.  I went in at 182lbs with a BMI of about 31.5)  My goal is to lose 50lbs.  Im short, about 5'3.

agraydolfin1
on 5/13/13 11:53 am - TX

I had RNY in dec 2000. I started at 353 down to 253. Had my RNY redone in Sept 2012 started at 340 and weighed 240 this morning. Back at first i didnt get the eating and portion controle message, or the vit message as well.All is under control and Im in charge of my actions!!!! 

Most Active