New to board ~ Gastric Bypass patient ~ having issues every few years it seems...

bb30046
on 3/18/13 1:14 pm - GA

Hello All,

Sorry in advance for the long post. I had gastric bypass surgery with silastic ring 04/2005. Was doing great until 2007 then I started to experience some stomach pains burning etc went back to my gastric bypass doctor and after all was said and done my silastic ring had eroded into my pouch (made a hole) and had to be replaced. After that surgery I developed a severe wound infection and it was kind of a nightmare. I finally headed went back to work and everything seemed fine - my weight loss had always been minimal. I started around 385 and the lowest I ever got down to was 270. In 2008 I was diagnosed with Graves disease and was told that I had an overactive thyroid which most people drop weight like it was nothing..but of course that wasn't the case with me and I stayed pretty much sick that entire year and never felt "good" I was either tired and wanted to lay down or would be going all day long and couldn't sleep at night.  My Endocrinologist put me on medicine and then wanted to remove my thyroid. I was not to excited about that so I told him nah..we will just treat it for now with meds..well low and behold instead of my thyroid being overactive it was now underactive and I felt like the biggest lazy slug always sooo tired couldn't do anything so I started gaining weight like mad. It wasn't like I was gorging out because physically I couldn't- I would throw up if I over ate!! I was so upset, depressed and felt worthless!! Taking my thyroid medicine as prescribed after the 1st year of being underactive all of a sudden it went away?? I was taken off the meds but still was gaining weight which another contributing factor would be me and my eating habits and lack of exercise!! Now lets get to 2012....I felt a knot in my upper stomach especially when I would lay down. I go back to my gastric bypass doctor and guess what....I have  HERNIA...great!! Had the repair done 03/2012 and was doing ok..no weight loss though...like my gastric bypass just stopped working completely. October 2012 I noticed a tiny bump in the top of my stomach again but chose to ignore it thinking it might just be scar tissue from my hernia that hasn't completely healed or something like that. After 2013 the knot was getting larger and larger and if I lay face down to sleep in the morning when I wake it up its very large- about the size of a baseball and have been dreading to go back to the doctor thinking that how did my hernia come back when I haven't done anything to make this happen...My gastric bypass doctor had me go and have a CT Scan and drink contrast to try to figure out what was going on with this lump. After the results come back he is stating that I have a weakness and it will basically turn into a hernia unless I get it fixed. I went and had another surgeon (also a bariatric surgeon) look at my CT SCAN and what he told me was that I shouldn't worry about the "hernia" I need to go back to my bariatric surgeon and let him know that my gastric bypass has broken down- he saw on my CT Scan where the barium I drank was also showing up the part of my stomach that should have been closed off. Now I am at a loss and not sure what to do. I just found out about this today....I am scared. Sorry this is so long but wanted to tell my story. Thanks!!

Most Active