Revision Completed

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/13 9:46 am - Springfield, IL
Revision on 03/04/13

Hey Everyone!!

After a year of fighting with Insurance (huge thanks to Lindstrom) i was approved for my revision.  I had the band removed and bypass completed on March 4.  That first week i was just in so much pain and regretted all of it but i am getting better but have so many questions and only feel that people that have gone from band to bypass might be able to help.

I am suppose to get at least 64 oz of fluid in a day and i am having issues with that.  I am getting it in but i get the full filling a lot.  Docs are wondering if this is just swelling.  Anyone else have this issue?  I also feel so hungry.  I didn't think it was suppose to feel that way.  Granted i am not starving like i use to be but i am still hungry.  Its frustrating.  I am suppose to start on soft protein foods on Monday so i am very excited about that.  I talk to bypass friends and they don't feel what i am feeling which makes me think this has something to do with the band being removed.  Anyone have any insight???

Whit
on 3/15/13 10:00 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi,

I had RNY 10 years ago and I felt all of those things. Just take small sips of water and carry it around with you so you can sip all the time. Your tummy will be swollen for a long time. Just take it easy and take it slow. 

Words of advise do not take the honeymoon period for granted. Try not to introduce carbs or sugar into your Diet too soon. Once you do your weightloss will slow significantly.

Best and good luck

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Hislady
on 3/15/13 2:07 pm - Vancouver, WA

Congrats on the revision!!! I know most people no matter what surgery have trouble getting in all their fluids at first because the stomach is swollen from the surgery. Just do the best you can and fluids are more important than protein for awhile because of the fear of dehydration. Take it one day at a time and like the OP said just sip, sip all day long. This too shall pass.

TamaraL
on 3/17/13 12:06 am

Kate,

I am a band to RNY revision.  There is no way i could have got 60 oz fluid in in the beginning.  i sipped on medicine cups every 15 minutes in the beginning. i still struggle with getting 64 oz in.    I think that head hunger is worse for revision patients.  I felt like i was starving, not sure why. 

I still eat more than they want me to some days.  I work out and burn 300-400 calories at a time.

The full filling is normal.  your stomach is only the side of your thumb when they first do the surgery!!!!  not much can fit in there.

My suggestions to people is to follow your surgeons rules, don't deviate.  use the first 6 months to lose as much as you can.  Start exercising as soon as you can.  I was exercising 3-5 days after surgery (walking)

Tamara

jzwife
on 3/17/13 8:03 am

I am a RNY patient revising to the DS on Tuesady because of a problem with a fistula. That being said- when I had my RNY I had a very difficult time getting in all my fluids after my first surgery. I started taking a large glass of water to bed with me at night. Every time I would get up to go to the bathroom I would take several more sips of water making sure the glass was empty by morning. By doing that I was able to get in another 16 oz of water and it wasn't interfering with trying ge****er and foods in during the day.

Good luck!

LEE
on 3/18/13 3:01 pm

JZwife,  I wish you the best with your surgery tomorrow.  I have my revision from rny to ds in 10 days on the 28th.  I hope we both have great success and no complications.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Most Active