Are you happy with your revision to RNY or do you wish you had the DS

mercedes66693
on 3/14/13 2:03 am

Hello everyone,

I had the band 8 months ago I've had nothing but problems with it so I am scheduled for Revision to RNY on the 25th of the month.

Reading more and more stories about people that are not happy with their RNY and wished they did DS.

Any one have the revision from band to RNY and happy with it or not happy with it I'd really love to hear some positive stories

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/14/13 4:06 am

You might want to ask this on the DS and RNY boards as well, because I know plenty of people that had a revision from RNY to DS but don't visit this board much.

Theres a reason there are so many revisions for RNY to DS, but not the other way around. The DS is just the most effective surgery both as a virgin surgery, or as a revision. 

If you are considering the RNY, just know that the revision from RNY to DS is much higher risk than it would be now, just revising from the band, because your stomach hasn't yet been cut up into that pouch. That is assuming it's even possible, as sometimes the revision can't be done, or the insurance changes to a "one WLS per lifetime" thing, like mine and many others did (and it's one per lifetime, regardless of who paid for the first one). 

smileyjamie72
on 3/14/13 6:06 am - Palmer, AK

I also want to add, look at how far out from surgery the revisions are.  Meaning the "honeymoon" stage.  Look to see if there are more people further out from their surgeries, like 2 plus years.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

thinlizzie12
on 3/16/13 4:03 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I am a revision from band to DS. I had my revision on 1/24/13. I had my band for 6 years. I initially looked into the VSG but I knew I needed more than just restriction...it wasn't the amount of food I was eating. Lost 20 lbs with it...nice huh? 

Anyways, I am down 40 lbs. I am a lightweight so I thought this would take longer. This weight is melting off....literally. I have NEVER said or thought that in my life. I am so happy  I did this. I cannot speak for RNY'ers...one of my friends had it and she has kept off her weight but one hasn't. They both also dump. 

Do your research. For me, the DS just made more sense with the sleeve and then the rerouting involved. I did not want to have to get back on the table ever again for WLS. Hope this helps. Good luck to you

MsBatt
on 3/17/13 9:02 am

Now's definitely the time to be researching. Doing a DS now would be pretty straightforward, but later revising an RNY to a DS---highly difficult, highly risky, and sometimes can't be done at all.

Most Active