A little nervous

ramman77
on 3/12/13 9:30 am - Fort Worth, TX
DS on 04/03/13

Need some talking down here guys. I meet with Dr Stewart today and absolutely loved him he was awesome. But after going over the complexity of the surgery I am having anxiety about the risks. I have read some horror stories on here all having said it was worth it in the long run but it just scares me. Anyone have a smooth RNY to DS with Stewart or someone else that can talk me down a bit?

LEE
on 3/12/13 3:40 pm

I am having my revision from rny to ds on the 28th of this month.  Yes it is very complex and when I left Dr. Rabkins office I was and remain scared as hell, but I know I chose a great doctor and I have faith that this surgery is going to give me what I want.

I have read the horror stories and I have heard the great ones and they all have one thing in common, they all say they would do it again and again.

I feel and share your fear Ramman but i'm not going to let it stop me.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
kellied77
on 3/13/13 3:45 am

Maybe we could be surgery buds.

I am too waiting for pre-approval.  I have my fingers crossed!  My band slipped, I have a hernia and ulcers.  My doc did an Endoscopy and found those three things.  My new doc office personnel say that is enough to get band removal for sure, and hope to also get revision to sleeve.  Either way this ridiculous thing is coming out!

I lost 30 lbs in first 3 months with the band, but have gained it back and struggled with it the whole 2 1/2 years.  It has been a nightmare just getting it to work, but now it has slipped from all the vomiting and fills and un-fills.  The last two docs I've spoken with both do not like the band and believe it will be discontinued soon.

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

thinlizzie12
on 3/13/13 6:48 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

What surgery are you getting? I am a band to DS patient...not with Stewart...do not live in Texas;) It is normal to be scared. I was scared out of my wits so I went with the least invasive...the crapband. I had it for 6 years. 6 years of fills and unfills, vomiting for about 3 years and my teeth all are capped in the back because of it. 

I went with the DS. I am almost 7 weeks out. I have lost almost 40 lbs. 40 lbs!!!! 2 more pounds to go until onederland. I lost 20 pounds with band..and that is over 6 years. I am so glad I had this surgery. There are risks in ANY surgery. You have to sign your life away to get your tonsils out. Just look at your pros and cons....make a list of why you should have the surgery and why you shouldn't. Fear was the only thing on my con list. Good luck to you;)

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/14/13 4:09 am

Picking a great surgeon is paramount with this revision, and you have picked one of the few I'd trust with this surgery. You will be in good hands.

Pattycake1947
on 3/14/13 5:03 am - Boyd, TX

Hi, my name is Pat. I haven't had my revision yet.  I started my journey back in November and was suppose to have my surgery a month ago but it turned out that I have 3 visits with the nutritionist visit before my case can be submitted to my insurance. I live in Texas not far from Fort Worth. I did read alot about Dr. Stewart and I believe you did make a good decision by using him. I also read alot about Dr. Gregor Barnes and all good. I chose him because of his good reviews but also because he has an office in Fort Worth. It's much easier to get to his Fort Worth office for me as much as I'll have to see him before and after surgery. I believe by you making a decision to go this far by seeing Dr. Stewart, you have made a good choice. Dr. Barnes went over all the pros and cons of having a RNY. Even when I had my VBG 12 years ago I was told all the pros and cons then too. I have put 60 pounds back on and I'm miserable. My body just won't carry all this much weight anymore. I put all my trust in God and have faith that my surgery will go well with no complications.Just think about having a better life after surgery and have faith you'll get through this with flying colors. What things do you have to go through with Dr. Stewart before your surgery? I have 3 visits with my nutritionist and I'm praying to have my surgery in June.  I am really looking forward to it and being able to walk and do so much without pain. Please let me know how things go for you. Pat

Most Active