RNY revision... unheard of??

AngelicMythology
on 3/10/13 2:59 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13
I'm sorry to hear your struggle. I had rny back in Jan 07 and had it revised in Jan 13 to distal rny I would say research ALL your options. I had done so about 8 months prior to making my decision. I weighed the pro and cons of each option.

It is difficult and frustrating. Hopefully your upcoming medical appointments can shed some light into the situation.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

aarich01
on 3/12/13 11:39 am

whats a distal rny?

AngelicMythology
on 3/12/13 2:00 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13
Where they leave the pouch alone and bypass more intestines ( more malabsorption). I had quite a bit of intestine. Even my surgery report my surgeon mentioned my "exceptionally long" intestines. Every person is unique. The main point is research ALL your options. Then decide what is best for YOU.

This board is a great place to start for information. An array of people that want to share resources and information. They can direct you to some excellent websites that explain about the different surgeries. Also tap into the expertise of your surgeon or a potential one. I also used Google Scholar to direct me to some potential articles that were of interest. Then I logged into the library's journal database and pulled up ones that I had found at my old college. Then I used the information to gather more. Knowledge is most definitely power.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Charmed1
on 4/20/13 12:57 pm - MD

Hi everyone, I had RNY in Sept.2006, went from 463lbs to 278 but as my appetite came back I experimented with which carbs my body could tolerate - which were most. I "tolerated" myself back to 380 lbs. I am considering a VSG but I know that if I don't fix WHY I'm eating no revision will work. I have been approaching my issues in a totally different way & with a different type of therapy ( EMDR ) - google it. I have already lost about 20lbs due to this therapy so if I choose to have the Revision I hope to be better prepared to handle . I guess I'm trying to suggest that at this point - for those of us looking to revise- that we should work on our head first and surgery options second or we'll be right back here again in a few years.

That being said, staying away from carbs is sooooo hard for me to do - they are my oldest & dearest friend. They have comforted me for years & they ain't, apparently, going down without a fight !!! I really hope we all can keep fighting our real emeny instead of beating ourselves up all the time. I am worried about physical issues and weight loss from revision surgery & would love to hear the good AND bad stories.

M U.
on 3/15/13 12:59 am

Dr. Dennis Smith doesn't do revisions to DS?

Most Active