RNY revision... unheard of??

Reyna_12
on 3/9/13 1:47 am - MN
Good for you for trying on your own again!! It is so NOT easy, but I am here if you need a support system or to vent or whatever Thanks so much for sharing!! Good luck with everything and keep us posted
Michelle R.
on 3/7/13 2:28 am - Falls Church, VA

Hi!  Thank you for posting this!  I had my surgery several years ago and am very close to my pre-op weight.  I didn't experience any dumping except for when I tried drinking a wine cooler and boy I will never do that again. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone.  When I had my surgery I had a different insurance and am now starting to look into a possible revision or some kind of help.  Revision surgery definitly is possible, you just have to decide on what's right for you.

I feel like the insurance I had failed me in that I wasn't sent to a support group, only saw a psychologist once to determine if I was fit for surgery, and didn't have access to a great nutritionist.  Of course I take responsibility for going back to my old ways.  Its just that I feel like everything was so rushed and I didn't have the right type of support system.  I didn't get a chance to work on why I eat the way I eat in the first place.

I'm so frustrated and feel like such a failure.  I was scared to look for a WLS group for fear of what happened to you when you went.  I'm also looking at other options that don't involve surgery.  I had an obstructed bowl 6 months post-op and that was the worst experience I've ever had.  The actual R-N-Y was a cake walk compared to that.

Anyways thanks for posting and good luck to you!

Michelle

Reyna_12
on 3/8/13 5:03 am - MN
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear about the bowl problem... I couldn't imagine having to go through that Just know that you are NOT alone through this journey. There doesn't seem to be tons of people like us who go through these unexpected struggles with RNY, but we do exist (as I am finding out from the responses to my post)! Message me any time you want to talk. Best bet would be to meet with your bariatrician and talk about everything going on. I have an appointment to meet mine in about a week. I was very hesitant to make the appointment since I have not been there in over a year and have gained weight so early on. But, I realized that I have had enough hiding and that nothing will change, if nothing changes!! So, here we go... round 2. Baby steps Thank you so much for sharing!
Michelle R.
on 3/11/13 1:32 pm - Falls Church, VA
No problem! I think its great that we have a forum like this. I decided to call my insurance company last Friday to ask if they cover revisions. So far I've been told that a nurse has been assigned to mt case and I should hear from her in a couple of weeks. In the mean time I'm goung to look for a counselor/therapist. Things haven't been so great emotionally so I need to get in the right mind frame.
Lynn W.
on 3/11/13 10:29 am - NJ

You are NOT alone!  

jzwife
on 3/8/13 4:39 am

I had the RNY in 2005 and only lost 50lbs- 30 of which I have put back on. I was so confused as to why I wasn't losing.I tried to be compliant, I never dumped and seemed to be able to eat more than I should. I recently underwent some testing and found I had a fistula which is where the stomach basicly reattaches itself back to the small pouch that has been created.  Your food ends up not only going into the small pouch and revised small intestine but also goes into your remnant stomach. Its pretty much as if you hadn't had the surgery done at all other than the fact that you still have the malabsorption .My surgeon told me that it is very difficult to lose when the anatomy  rearranges itself like this.

I would insist that your doctor to do some testing- an upper GI, a CAT scan and an Endoscopy to see what is happening with your stomach and digestive tract. Things do go wrong and its not your fault.

I am revising to a DS on Tues March 19th and will be happy when this is all behind me and I am once again on the losing side of things.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Sharon

Reyna_12
on 3/8/13 5:09 am - MN
WOW!! That is do crazy and honestly, I didnt even know that was possible I am sorry that happened to you, but that is so fantastic that you are getting the revision that you deserve!! What a blessing. Keep me posted, I am going to be messaging you with some questions about the testing you had done. Thanks so much for sharing!!!
Lynn W.
on 3/8/13 5:30 am - NJ

Wowzers!  Thanks for the info!

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

smileyjamie72
on 3/8/13 2:17 pm, edited 3/8/13 2:20 pm - Palmer, AK

RNY to DS revision surgeons

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada

Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4583840/dont-write-a-surgeon-off-because-hes-not-on-the-short-list/)

**Disclaimer..... Gagner has had some problems with questionable billing practices & Greenbaum has had some problems~like recent patients not getting a true DS [receiving an ERNY/Distal RNY instead].

PLEASE do your DUE DILIGENCE and research, and POST questions!!!!!!

Here are links to look at...........

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-to-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

AND

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Distal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/#36775292

AND

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1342&page=1

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Michelle R.
on 3/11/13 1:27 pm - Falls Church, VA
Thanks so much for this information! U believe I live very close to Dr. Elariny's practice.
Most Active