RNY revision... unheard of??

Reyna_12
on 3/6/13 2:32 am - MN

Hello Everyone. I am a little over 2 years post-op and have been REALLY struggling here. I took about 4 months after surgery before I actually started to lose weight and I never lost any HUGE amount. I never experienced any dumping throughout this journey and through sampling different food here and there, have found that I can actually eat almost the same amount as I did BEFORE surgery without any stomach pains, food getting stuck, or vomiting. This is a HUGE problem for me. I started feeling very depressed about not sharing the same success stories as everyone else at the post-op support groups and stopped going to the meetings and post-op follow-up appointments altogether for about a year.  I never lost any more weight... I actually gained about 20 lbs. Creeping back up towards my surgery date weight. I recently went back to a post-op support group at the hospital to gain some motivation and also to see if anyone else was going through the same situation. Well, I gathered the strength to share my store and... nobody shared any similar experiences with me. They were actually surprised by my story and said that it was very unusual for me to be able to eat so much and to never have had any dumping. GREAT!! 

Anyways, I have any appointment made with my bariatrician and nutritionist for in 2 weeks. I would really like to talk to them about having my surgery revised, but am scared that the door has already been closed on me since I was already given the blessing of having RNY in the first place. Part of this un-successful story is MY fault for falling back into old habits, I take full responsibility for that. Then again, I also feel something has always been "off" with this surgery and I honestly thought that my life would be completely different right now. Has anyone heard of getting their RNY *revised*?? They say the brain never changes after surgery, and that you have to start listening to your tiny stomach-- well, my brain didn't change, but my stomach isn't tiny either... and I don't trust either of them anymore. I just feel VERY out of control and sad. Please comment if you have ever heard of anything like this... 

Lynn W.
on 3/6/13 3:12 am - NJ

Hi... you are not alone.  In fact, I just posted a similar story.

I'm 4 years out from RNY and I am back to my pre-surgery weight. My habits didn't change and my brain certainly didn't.  I am about to start the process of inquiring about a revision from RNY to DS.  I'm not going back to my original surgeon - he doesn't do DS - but found someone closer to home who is spoken very highly of.

Please, feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to walk this journey with you.

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Reyna_12
on 3/6/13 9:32 am - MN
Thanks Lynn. So nice to know I am not alone!!!
jerzey59
on 3/11/13 3:38 am - Covington, GA

Are you looking to have surgery with Dr. Greenbaum?

Lynn W.
on 3/11/13 3:43 am - NJ

Yes...

clpeltz
on 3/6/13 9:19 am

The RNY has already failed you one time.  Why would you think that it would work the second time around?  If you are going to get a revision, look into revising to a DS.  There is a list of TRUE RNY-DS revision surgeons right here in the revisions forum.  Pick your surgeon and then set up the consult.  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Reyna_12
on 3/6/13 9:31 am - MN
This is probably true! Thanks so much for the info
sweetnsoon2bpetite
on 3/6/13 5:53 pm - Seattle, WA

Hello everybody, when I had my RNY I was 427. I went down to 217 and now I'm 273. This yoyo is scaring me. I talk to my friends who had the RNY also and apparently I am not alone. One friend is 65 lbs. heavier than she was post-op. The other friend has been on a plateau for 2 years 140 lbs. from her goal weight. I am going to look into these revision surgeries. Thank you guys & gals for sharing.

Reyna_12
on 3/6/13 9:38 pm - MN
Wow. And here I thought I was alone! I honestly didnt even want to share my story in the first place because every other single person seemed to be meeting the WL expectations just beautifully. Thanks so much for sharing. Good luck to you!!
who knows
on 3/9/13 1:32 am

no your not alone.......i thought the same thing. i didnt want to "confess" i had gained back all but 50lbs.  i had my rny 12 yrs ago.  I too am looking into revision.  I am just now trying to get back on track and consult with local bariatric dr. to see what, if any deficinces i have.  I want to try and see if I can get back on track before a revision.  as for the revision.....i have noticed on here that the only way to go with revisng RNY is to go with the DS.  There are only a handful of them. unfortunetly, there isnt one in my area and the chances of me going to the one closest is pretty nil. when and IF i decide on a revisoin, I will have to get over that hurdle of which to have.  anyway, you are not alone!!

Most Active