RNY revision needed

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/13 5:28 pm, edited 3/29/16 12:59 am

NA

tattoobabe
on 3/2/13 9:49 pm - MI

To answer one of your questions not sure the pouch stops working i know for a fact there are factors that can cause the pouch to empty out quicker leaving you hungry all the time or it stretches out causing you to eat more. I'm kinda in the same boat i had the rny surgery back in 2001 weighed over 300 got down to 200 pds not goal but then life got in the way got married had 2 kids back to back got back up to 273 pounds. I started the process of attempting a revision. I sought out a surgeon got a upper endoscopy done found out my pouch had stretched I assumed it had streched based on how much more i could eat but i knew it hadn't stretched awhole lot because i do still feel restriction i just no longer have the dumping issue that goes along with having the rny . I  Decided to switch surgeons as i wanted a ds and this surgeon who i originally saw for a revision doesn't  do revisions...

fast forward today with my insurance they required proof of me being this size 2 yrs or more since my surgery and proof i've done a medically supervised diet for 6 months.  During this time i decided to re evalulate my relationship with food and truely attempt a lifestyle change.  During these 6 months if i don't lose any weight while eating right and excercising  still have the revision surgery as an option. I'm currently on my 3rd montha and so far i've  lost 30 pds. so i know my pouch still works however i track my food and i excercise 5 days a week.  I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with these results and will continue on this journey if this keeps up god willing i may not even need a revision as i am honestly attempting a lifestyle change and not just another diet. I'm not sure of your situation but if you are focused on getting back on track i would honestly say track every piece of food that goes into your mouth. also you must eat at a calorie deficit.  You indicated you've tried to get back on track don't give up. As you've not been to a doctor who can document you've gained back a significant portion of your weight for some years  since your surgery you may have an uphill battle getting insurance to cover a revision surgery for you. You may have to self pay. If that isn't an option i would really attempt to try figure out whats the cause is i.e overeating..possibly seek counseling for that..that may be the start of you getting back on track and getting back to a healthy lifestyle.

rows4u
on 3/2/13 11:57 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

Such a good response! I'm having a revision to the RNY from sleeve next monday. People have tried to scare me about the RNY not working and me failing again. I think what you said about CHANGING your lifestyle is exactly what will help me with my revision. I've been changing my lifestyle and thought process and I think this will give me a great advantage going into the RNY unlike last time when I did the sleeve.

tattoobabe
on 3/3/13 12:57 am - MI

good luck to you rows4u I would also suggest keeping excercise as part of your daily routine..That willl really help with you keeping your weight in check along with eating right.

tonnabug
on 3/13/13 12:07 pm - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13

Hi.... I am about to revise from band to sleeve.  Seeing your post just made me curious why you didn't have success with the sleeve?  Since I failed with the band, I am a little worried about doing WLS again!

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

Whit
on 3/3/13 11:16 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi,

I had revision  surgery 12/10 from RNY to DS.  The amazing Dr. Ara Keshishian in CA was my surgeon and I traveled from Nor Cal to So Cal for the procedure. The day of surgery I weighed 240 and today I weigh 190. I have however been 190 for a week almost 2. I too had RNY surgery 10 years ago and seem to remember this happening then as well. I am not to worried if it slows down it slows down. At least I am going in the right direction...no matter the speed.

This surgery is nothing to take lightly. I was in the hospital 3 weeks. While in the hospital I developed a leak and had a second surgery. Recovery has been slow. I was NPO for 8 weeks and only 2 weeks ago started drinking protein shakes and water by mouth. I still have the Feeding Tube and probably will for another couple of weeks as a precaution.

I go back to work 3/18 which means I will have been out 14 weeks. 

One word of caution when you ask most Bariatric surgeons they will say they do revisions however you need to be specific as to the procedure you want. They will say yes and push the RNY to RNY oe ERNY. I wasted 4 months due to misinformation.

I think you should see exactly what your insurance covers and what you are willing to do. Not all of us can jus****ch what we eat and exercise to get out "tool" to work again. Some can which I think is great.

Do you have records from your Gyno? They weigh you in. Also start a weight loss plan now. I joined Weigh****chers and kept online records. I lost 10 pounds over a 1 year period. I did join to lose weight not keep records and at the time I did not know revisional surgery existed. 

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tricie 40
on 3/7/13 4:18 am - Back Home For Good, IL

I hope this helps with the BCBS issue. Somethings have changed

http://medicalpolicy.hcsc.net/medicalpolicy/home?corpEntCd=T X1&path=/templatedata/medpolicies/POLICY/data/SURGERY/SUR716 .003_2012-02-01&ctype=POLICY&cat=Surgery#hlink

I did just like you. I had surgery in GA in 2007 then moved back to IL. No follow up or anything until I ended up in the hospital with bilateral blood clots in my lungs. Originally lost 210 lbs....Ive gained 65 of that back. Starting the process of DS revision and BCBS of IL is probably gonna approve....fingers crossed 

Good luck to you

Tricie

The only person that is with us our entire life,  is ourselves. Live while you are alive

Tricie

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/13 8:24 am
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/14/13 5:01 am

As much as I love my DS and know it's the most effective WLS there is, I have grave concerns here. 

You will not be able to do like you have done, and miss bloodwork for any reason, and attentive supplementation. It will be deadly to ignore this with the DS. Completely not optional.

I can tell you I have had a spell of personal hell recently, and won't recount the deaths and personal trials of late, but will say that it has been hard for me to get time to take a shower within the WEEK some times, I have completely forgotten most things that had been scheduled that weren't an immediate need, forgotten to pay bills, TOTALLY ****canned things like house and yard work, and been a general basket case because of the stress and demands on me lately.

Despite everything going on, I have to track, and take my supplements. Several times a day. If I don't, instead of visiting the hospital and funeral homes, I'll be the one being visited.

I know you have good intentions with the FitnessPal and looking for a nutritionist, but you also need to know that most DSers consider the nutritionists useless, because they either don't know squat about malabsorbtion, or only know it for RNYers, not us. I thought it was overstated before I had my DS, but surely there must a SOME useful nuts for the DSers. Now at over 5 years out, I have yet to meet one.

I also don't have a knowledgeable follow-up doc, and my surgeon is outside the US (not that his nutritionist is any use anyway) so I come to places like this, and some other online communities that share knowledge and information for different surgery types. It is essential, and I come to read and learn on a regular basis. I stay plugged in at these places, and try to share some, but keep learning. Even after 5 years, I still learn new stuff, and I'm healthier for it.

So not having good followup is not optional, so I have a list of labs that my surgeon originally gave me, and I've plugged in a few things off of Vitalady's list (if you don't know who Vitalady is and what she does, slap yourself right this minute!), and I gave this list to my pcp, and she just has all the labs done once a year (it was more frequent in earlier years, but being further out, and when things are in balance, there's no need for more).

If something is off, my pcp may try to address it, but she doesn't usually remember the issues with things like fat soluble vitamins, so it's up to me. That's where the online groups and Vitalady come in. 

I hope you've read this and taken it to heart, because life happens and we always have a reason it would be easier to slack a bit, but if you do with the DS like you have with the RNY, you won't be OK, and leaning on a community for help and guidance I have learned is mandatory.

thisismyear
on 4/3/13 5:47 pm

I wanted to reply to you specifically. I had an RNY in 2009, I have BCBS Federal and was just approved for a revision to RNY a few days ago.

I did not have to do 3 or 6 month weight loss.

Good luck and/or send me a pm.

Most Active