Thininking of revision from RnY to DS? Anyone with success out there

LEE
on 2/28/13 8:07 am

My surgeon doesn't require I go on any special diet.  I will have to do my pre-op cleansing of course before surgery but nothing more.  I think they require all that when insurance is paying for it or if you are really big.  right now I am at 230 pounds, I gained back 90 and the bad health is coming back quickly.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
nay_nay45
on 2/28/13 10:04 am - Wilson, NC

I had  my RNY in 3/19/2003, I was 296 lbs.,  loss 100 lbs and have since regained all but 36 lbs. I am am schedule for my initial consult. I hope I can find someone here who can who can tell me the percentage of weight loss after revision from RNY to DS, Re-triming the stomach and tightening the stoma. 

hayley88
on 3/14/13 4:35 pm

Hi, did you ever find out any additional information?  Im going to be self pay and want to make sure im doing the right thing, and something that will help me in the long run.

thanks

hayley

Lynn W.
on 3/15/13 7:45 am - NJ

Renee, I'm in the same boat as you, but had much more to lose (and gained back all but 25 of my lost pounds). I'm so relieved to find that there are others here who are experiencing the same things. There is power in community.

What's the date of your consult? I'm hoping to schedule mine soon.  I'll be following your progress!

Best wishes...

Lynn 

Well-behaved women seldom make history.  --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

nay_nay45
on 3/15/13 11:04 pm - Wilson, NC

My consultation is scheduled for 3/20/2013.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/15/13 9:25 am

If you go to a real DS revision surgeon, they do not re-trim that pouch, but that is good. Many of the failing of RNY are because of the pouch/lack of stoma, so getting that reversed fixes many things.

If you are revised to an actual DS, they will patch back together your stomach out of the pouch and remant stomach, and reattach your pyloric valve, then make a gastric sleeve. The sleeve uses all the stomach natural parts like the pylorus, but just removes the outer stretchy curve (the fundis) with makes the stomach smaller but fully functioning, and removes some of the grehlin (the hunger hormone) production.

The intestines are then bypessed in a different place, which means you will still have vitamin supplelmentation for life, like you already have, but will also have calorie malabsorption (mostly of fat calories - great if you have high cholesterol or clogged arteries!!) for LIFE. You malabsorbed calories with RNY, but that part only lasts a year or two with RNY. I'm cool with having to supplement vitamins for life, if I get the calorie help, but it seems unfair for RNY to get the bad stuff, without the benefit of the good. 

Revisions as a whole, lose slower than virgin surgeries, but the DS is the best surgery to get the weight and co-morbs dealt with, regardless of whether it is a revision or virgin surgery. 

The problem you may face is that if you see any surgeon the doesn't do this exact revision (RNY to DS) then you are going to get a pitch for whatever they do, and none of the choices are good. They go from things that supposedly tighten the stomach or stoma like stomaphyx, Rose, plication to things that can give you a really hard surgery to live with which will just be another type of sever RNY usually called ERNY.  They will upsell a poor or useless procedure, and may give mythes or information about a superior surgery that they can't perform. You're only chance is to go read up, get informed, and know what you need and will accept before you select a surgeon.

There is a list not too far back in the revisions posts by SmileyJaime that has real RNY to DS revision surgeons on it, and I wouldn't allow other surgeon. You don't need what is easy, or fits their limited capabilities as a RNY surgeon. You need something that will finally get the job done for you, AND leave you with a quality, livable lifestyle. 

Whit
on 3/1/13 6:47 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I copied this from a post I just wrote but it pretty much applies...I think

Hi,

I had correctional/revision  surgery 12/10 from RNY to DS.  The amazing Dr. Ara Keshishian in CA was my surgeon and I traveled from Nor Cal to So Cal for the procedure. The day of surgery I weighed 240 and today I weigh 190. I have however been 190 for a week almost 2. I too had RNY surgery 10 years ago and seem to remember this happening then as well. I am not to worried if it slows down it slows down. At least I am going in the right direction...no matter the speed.

This surgery is nothing to take lightly. I was in the hospital 3 weeks. While in the hospital I developed a leak and had a second surgery. Recovery has been slow. I was NPO for 8 weeks and only 2 weeks ago started drinking protein shakes and water by mouth. I still have the Feeding Tube and probably will for another couple of weeks as a precaution.

I go back to work 3/18 which means I will have been out 14 weeks. 

One word of caution when you ask most Bariatric surgeons they will say they do revisions however you need to be specific as to the procedure you want. They will say yes and push the RNY to RNY. I wasted 4 months due to misinformation. Use one of the Dr. on the list above

Good luck.

Best

Whit 

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

hayley88
on 3/1/13 6:50 am

I too lost down to 190 but put the 200 back on over 14 yrs. I hope a ds will help with the weight loss. Keep us updated on any new info Hou obtain. I'd like to hear a success story of a revision that began with someone as heavy as I am.

AnnHailey
on 7/9/14 2:45 am - Simi Valley, CA

Did you end up having your revision? I'm looking to do one I've gained close to all back after. 9 years. Please let me know how u are & any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Most Active