Thininking of revision from RnY to DS? Anyone with success out there

hayley88
on 2/26/13 11:43 am

Im thinking of a revision of my RnY to  a DS. It has  been over 14 yrs since my RnY and I have gained all of my weight back. I lost over 200 lbs but it has all come back.   I was wondering what kind of success there is for this revision.  

smileyjamie72
on 2/26/13 1:34 pm, edited 8/9/14 12:38 am - Palmer, AK

You should also cross post this on the DS messageboard!!!! Have you been to DSFacts.com, and the other website on the bottom has lots of other revisioners there as well.

Sounds like your RNY failed you.  This is the document that I read that made me pursue a revision from RNY to DS (After reading this, I no longer blamed myself for the failure of my RNY) http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

Here is a list of surgeons who do this.  There is a small number of them worldwide.

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada

Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4583840/dont-write-a-surgeon-off-because-hes-not-on-the-short-list/)

**Disclaimer..... Gagner has had some problems with questionable billing practices & Greenbaum has had some problems~like recent patients not getting a true DS [receiving an ERNY/Distal RNY instead].

PLEASE do your DUE DILIGENCE and research, and POST questions!!!!!!

Here are links to look at...........

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-to-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

AND

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Distal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/#36775292

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

who knows
on 2/27/13 1:19 am

hi! i jsut wanted to tell you i am in the same situtaion. I had my rny 12 yrs ago and hav gained back all but 50 pds.  i also have health issues. I am trying to gt everything firgured out rightn ow, starting with all the blood work needed to see what and how dificient i am in the vit. area.  please feel free to messege me. I just started to realize that there ar many others this far out that have had the same problems.  i thought I was a failure and have been so depressed....it helps to know others ar going thru the same thing. 

LEE
on 2/27/13 11:03 pm

Hi Hayley and Critter_Angel,  I am in your position as well and I am seven years out.  I am going to have my revision next month on the 28th, I just found out last night when I went to meet with Dr. Rabkin for a consultation.  I went in thinking that it would
be great if I could get it done next month and when the schedule said that date was open I nervously said ok. 

So I am on the journey that you are on just that I am getting to the end of it, so I will post about it and if you want any advice about the process up until now and as I go along just let me know.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
who knows
on 2/28/13 6:59 am

thank you lee.....i would love to know how it goes for you.  i had an awlful experienc with my rny 12 yrs ago and am so afraid.  back then it was very invasive....anway good luck to you and please let us know how ur experience goes

hayley88
on 2/28/13 7:08 am

Please keep me posted on how things go.  Im waiting for an appointment with Dr Stewart in Texas. I had a hernia repaired in 2008 so Im hoping Im not full of so much scar tissue that they can not go thru with the operation. 

LEE
on 2/28/13 7:19 am

I am nervous about it because it's so soon but I am happy and thankful that I am going to the #1 doctor for revisions and he is only 45 min away from me and that I can afford to pay for it cash without throwing myself into debt.  I am so grateful to be in this position and I am taking full advantage of it.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
hayley88
on 2/28/13 7:34 am

If you dont mind may i ask what type of results to they feel you will have. I  will be paying for mine as well. Id hate to have it done and loose nothing. I worry about that happening.  

LEE
on 2/28/13 7:44 am

About 75% of my excess weight, but you can affect it by eating well and working out.  I am going to try my best to hit 100%.  Reading all the different boards I have learned that it is totally possible.  I would hate to be one who had two WLS and didn't lose.  I am looking at this as my second chance and I am going to work my ass off.

You can ask me anything you want, I'm not shy and I will share any and all.   My surgery is costing me between $35,000 - $40,000. 

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
hayley88
on 2/28/13 7:55 am

Yes I too see it as a second chance. I want to go into this one as prepared as possible. Im tired of being sick and tired all the time.  Im looking at this as a tool to help me along the way.  Id love to try and loose the 200 lbs i have gained back.  Im hoping this revision will help me to do that.  I think my cost will be around the same. I just want to get the process started. do they have you on any special diet right now?

Most Active