Do I have options?

ForMy3Kids
on 2/26/13 10:26 am

I used to belong to this board many years ago when I had my RNY bypass in 2003.  Since then I have had 3 kids and suffered from two rounds of severe post partum depression, and I am 15 pounds away from the weight I was when I had the original gastric bypass.  Are there any options for revisions?  Is it possible to just have your stomach cut back down to the size it is right after surgery? I'd like to believe that, since I am done having kids, I would be more likely to keep the weight off, and it would allow me to engage with my kids now in a more active role.  I realize this board must get flooded with questions, but I would be so grateful for some replies.  I am not interested in the Lap Band.  Thanks!

Erica

smileyjamie72
on 2/26/13 1:20 pm - Palmer, AK

Erica,

Yes there are options.  Sounds like your RNY failed you.  It is possible to revise from RNY to DS.  There are only a handful of docs who do this procedure world wide, though.

The DS has THE BEST long-term weight loss.  You malabsorb calories for only about18 months, but you continue to malabsorb vitamins for life.  With the DS, you malabsorb for life.  DSFacts.com is a good place to start and the proboards website listed below.  Read other threads on here, they are chocked full of DS info as well.

Here is the list of surgeons (I traveled from Alaska)

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada

Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4583840/dont-write-a-surgeon-off-because-hes-not-on-the-short-list/)

**Disclaimer..... Gagner has had some problems with questionable billing practices & Greenbaum has had some problems~like recent patients not getting a true DS [receiving an ERNY/Distal RNY instead].

PLEASE do your DUE DILIGENCE and research, and POST questions!!!!!!

Here are links to look at...........

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-to-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

AND

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Distal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/#36775292

AND

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1342&page=1

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

AngelicMythology
on 3/1/13 3:56 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I had a revision back on 01/21/2013 from proximal to distal rny.  My pouch was fine, they just gave me more malabsorption by moving my connection down further.  However I barely had any malabsorption in comparison to the amount of intestines I have.  I'm going on 6 weeks out and am down 32 lbs at the moment. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

pineview01
on 3/2/13 10:00 am - Davison, MI

Your smart to not be interested in the Lap Band (or the crap band).  Have they tested to see if the pouch and/or stoma have stretched.  I if they have the can tighten them.  They can also change the re-route of the intestines but I haven't seen to much long term on that.  There a some Doctors that can do the RNY take down and then do a DS.  This is a very major surgery so make sure you get a very, very experienced surgeon.

Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active