Expert Advise and opinions

lat_momof4
on 2/18/13 10:05 am

Hello all

I am a new member here and been trying to read up on everything.  However, I would love to hear what everybody has to say about my situation.  I had a Vertical Band Gastroplasy in December of 1999 weighing 273.  Within a year, I lost everything in a house fire (Jan 2000), my only aunt diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away, got pregnant with #4 (Prob because I was throwing up my pills), started having gal-bladder attacks and had a DVT which resulted in having my daughter 3 weeks early, and LOST 100lbs.  Needless to say, I really didn't learn how to eat correctly due to the stress.  To this day, I am still a stress/emotional eater.  I am now 40 and have regained around 40 lbs.  I am very discouraged because I really never lost down below 170-160 and now have been gaining.  I would love a revision but can't find very much information about a VBG to sleeve or bypass.  I have read tons about the sleeve and bypass but alot of the information conflicts itself when it comes to a revision from VBG so I am not sure what to believe.  Some say that a DS is the only procedure after a VBG.  Some say a sleeve works fine.  SO CONFUSED!!!!  I am currently double covered, however, neither insurance covers weightloss surgery, so I considering going to Mexico.  My husband and I go to Cancun Mexico at least once a year......ITS OUR HEAVEN ON EARTH....so travel/safety to Cancun doesn't really concern us, but it is a big concern when thinking about traveling to Tijuana or Mexicali. 

So my questions are:1)  Has any one had a revision from VBG to sleeve or Bypass.  2)  Has anyone had Weightloss surgery (any type) in Cancun?  How has your experience? 

ANY information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks, Laticia

pineview01
on 2/18/13 12:08 pm - Davison, MI

Many have traded in the VBG for a Sleeve and the RNY.  Check out the Mexico boards for the names of a surgeon.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 2/18/13 1:56 pm

Revising a VBG to anything is going to require a very skilled revision surgeon. The stomach portion of the DS is identical to the Sleeve, so you could have either---but the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Dolores L.
on 2/19/13 12:26 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

I had a lap revision of VBG to RnY GBP 6 months ago at Tampa General, by Dr. Michel Murr who is an experienced revision surgeon and professor of surgery at USF. I was very pleased with my experience. My insurance did not cover, so I had to pay ca**** was the best money I've ever spent. I started at 270 and am down 65#. Weight loss with a revision tends to be slower but they are very happy with my progress and so am I. The reason I did my surgery locally was because of Dr. Murr's excellent reputation and because I was leery about leaving the country to have a revision done at age 53. I know a lot of folks do it, but I just didn't really even consider it. Any help I can give you, I would be happy to. 

Whit
on 2/26/13 6:58 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I travel to Mexicali several times a year on business. It is very safe and I believe the Hospital is very close to the border. I would not let this be a determining factor in your decision. 

I had a revision in Dec. (RNY to DS) Dr. Ara (the best surgeon in the US) Keshesian is my Dr.

Best,

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

andibrown
on 3/9/13 11:55 pm - TX
I had VGB in 1985 weight
240 I lost 40 lbs needless to say it failed! Or I failed...I had 4 children and many years of continuing with bad eating habits. I had RNY on 12/17/12 starting weight in September was 321 I went on a 3 month required pre op diet and weighed 287 day of surgery. Today I weigh 239 I've lost 48 lbs since surgery. I am no longer a diabetic on insulin. I feel great! The weight loss is slower bc it is a revision. But I am satisfied. Great surgeon tons of experience with revisions Dr Ganta Austin Texas people come from all over to see him' I am a nurse so I did lots of research
hopey333
on 3/11/13 12:17 am - Fenton, Mo
RNY on 12/10/12

I am 3 months out from my revision to RNY from VBG. I started this journey at 396 lbs, got down to 309 the day of surgery following low carb diet as a 6 month medically supervised weight loss was required by my insurance. I am only down 28 lbs so far , however I got an infection and was septic and ended up back in the hospital for 5 days and had a lot of healing time. Now that I am to the point where I can get my liquids and protein in and exercise I am hoping things will pick up some. 280 now and hoping for another 100 lbs!

Most Active