Newbie Revision Questions

Chele78
on 2/10/13 10:36 am

I had Lap Band 2 years ago. Initialing I lost about 40 pounds but over the past year I've gained all but 10 of those pounds back. I constantly get stuck. I always feel like there's something off or not quite sitting right under my left rib and I just hate eating, I don't enjoy it any more.

So my questions are....how hard is it to get insurance to cover revision? Should I see the same surgeon or find another one? Has anyone had this issue and what steps did you take to get it sorted out.

I feel like such a failure. Everyone knows I was banded and here I am, fat as ever. HELP!

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/13 11:53 am

Hello!

I had a band for three years and revised to a DS in December. I'm sorry you are struggling with your band and want to let you know that this feeling of failure you are experiencing is so common. It is really difficult when you try so hard for so many years with all the dieting and then do something as drastic as surgery (and tell everyone about it) and then still struggle with weight. Been there, done that -- it hurts!  But, please don't spend your time beating yourself up about it. Spend your time an effort on planning your success!

Insurance plans and companies vary greatly. What you will need to do is contact your insurance company and find out what their requirements are for a revision and then go about meeting those requirements.

When I called my company, I found out they had a "one wls per lifetime clause" BUT, they would pay for a revision IF it was deemed medically necessary. My surgeon provided documentation that the revision was medically necessary and I awaited their review and approval and then scheduled surgery. Depending on your insurance policy, it might be easier than this, or much longer, going through the appeals process, etc.

In the meantime, do you have anymore fill in your band that your doctor can take out to make you more comfortable? Have you begun to research what surgery you would like to revise to?

thinlizzie12
on 2/11/13 10:20 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

Ilovebeagles and I are in the same boat;) I also had years of vomiting....had the band for 5.5 years....lost 20lbs...gained it all back. I would call your insurance company to find out. And as far as your Doc goes.....depending on how you feel about him/her....were they there for you in the firs place? Did they help you with follow up? What procedure do you want to revise to? 

I paid cash for my crapband. My insurance now covered my revision. You are not a failure. You did not fail this. IT failed you. You are not alone honey......there are plenty of us on here who were just in your shoes 3 weeks ago;) And now we are on the dark side. call the ins......start digging! Keep us posted!

Most Active