Lap band revision why the wait time?

mandy2888
on 1/30/13 7:41 am - sioux falls, SD
RNY on 04/04/13

I had an appt this week to see about a revision. The lap band has never really worked for me like they claimed it would. Well they did the barium swallow and said my esophagus was slightly dilated and they are going to a EGD next week to see about erosion etc. I met with the surgeon just briefly because I had to see the Nurse Practitioner first and she asked him to meet me before the EGD. 

I asked him about the revision surgery- he didn't want to discuss that. He said that we would remove it and then we would talk about other options. I know i have read some other stories where there has been a wait time before the next surgery.

Can you please tell me why some surgeons can do in one surgery and some need to do in two? There is another surgeon at a different hospital that will do it in one (i want to revise to RNY). Is that a bad sign?

For those that had to do it in two. Did you discuss the surgery you wanted to revise to prior to band removal (that of course would only be if it was not an emergency situation)? 

Thank you,

Mandy

saralynne65
on 1/30/13 10:42 am
Revision on 01/23/13

I revised from band to rny in one shot laparscopy, but no erosion was noted in my upper gi or egd.

Some surgeons like to have you wait a months for healing before proceding and others not so much.

Frankly if I would have had to go through surgery twice to revise I probably would have just had my band removed

and not done the RNY. I just was not up for two procedures. I would get the testing done because you need that no matter what 

but while you are waiting for results you could always go for another consult or two. I went on 4 before I settled on who I was 

comfortable with.

Good luck to you!!

~Saralynne

Nic M
on 1/30/13 12:48 pm

If there is more damage than what is "acceptable" to revise, most surgeons will advise waiting.  Sometimes the amount of damage isn't fully divulged, either. They'll just advise you to do the surgery in 2 parts.

I believe it would be completely up to the surgeon whether you'd be able to revise in one surgery or not. Sometimes the band has adhered to a lot of other organs and removing it can be a little tricky. Hopefully your band removal will be an easy one! I wish you the best and I hope all goes really well for you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

chimeraboo
on 1/31/13 4:55 am - Raleigh, NC
Revision on 10/10/14

I have no erosion or other damage from my band and I have to do 2 separate procedures.  Its such a headache, but if it minimizes the risks I have no problem doing it.  My issue is that I want to hurry up and get the band out ASAP since I have to wait 4 weeks to get the bypass. I am a student and the only time I can get the bypass is during spring break.  The Dr's office wants to drag their feet on scheduling me for the removal because they want to see if I will get approved for the revision first, but the way I feel about it is, the band isn't working (AT ALL) for me.  I almost weigh as much as I did when I got it put in. I have diabetes and PCOS.  I am not going to lose the weight with the band, so whether I get approved for revision or not, I want it out.

antigone139
on 1/31/13 5:26 am - TX

I know just how you feel I just got my failed band out after almost 4 yrs...that is weird they are making you do 2 separate procedures.  My doc did it in one shot

Hislady
on 1/31/13 7:44 am - Vancouver, WA

From what I've read any surgeon "should" be able to do both at one time unless there is pretty severe damage. However many do it in 2 surgeries because either they aren't good enough to do it in one or they can make twice the money with 2 surgeries. Like everything else it all boils down to the all mighty dollar.

Stephanie M.
on 2/1/13 1:34 am

You need to speak to a Revision surgeon.  They are experienced in dealing with removal/revision and the scar tissue/damage we often have.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Owlet
on 2/3/13 12:11 pm

I just had my revision 3 weeks ago. He warned me that if there was any sign of damage that he would have to do it in two surgeries. I had my band removed because I stopped physically tolerating it in my body. If it was tight enough for me to lose weight I would "slime" after each meal (even eating soft and slow). I also swelled up like a balloon which all went after after the removal.

Now If I wanted the Sleeve I would have had no choice to do it in two surgeries.

So my question would be why is he aginst talking about it to you? Get a second opinion and see who you feel comfortable with. This is a lifelong relationship you have to be open and honest with your surgeon.

thinlizzie12
on 2/4/13 4:36 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I was the same as owlet as far as the sliming and blowing up like a balloon. I had my revision from Band to DS 12 days ago....all in one shot. Some surgeons have their reasons for doing this though....just ask. My BFF is getting her nad out but they are going to do do her VSG a few weeks later.

Coming out of  surgery though I had what I know was esophageal spams. They were horrible and disgusting. I think they were just another reason why the band didn't work for me. I had the band for 5 1/2 years and loss approx 20 lbs. Now if my surgeon told me that he would wait for my DS until all the inflammation/ spasms stopped...I would be all for it. But I am glad it is done. You will not regret getting the band out. Best of luck to you;)

pineview01
on 2/5/13 10:47 am, edited 2/5/13 10:49 am - Davison, MI

My surgeon requires you to wait between at least band to sleeve for sure.  The took the band out, my body was totally rejecting the port.  I had adhesions from the band and they can't know this until they get in there and look around.  They then want the stomach to rest and heal.  One surgeon wanted you to wait a couple months but, the one I use wants you to wait 4-6 months.  It allows the scaring to soften.  When he got in to do the sleeve, it took 45 minutes to remove adhesions and straighten up the stomach to get ready to even do the VSG.  They have found that if you do it in to parts, it does reduce the risk of leak.  Some do do it in one surgery with the thinking you don't have to do thru the trauma and recovery of two surgeries.  So, there are pros and cons for both.  After reading about the people having complications with one surgery I was no longer unhappy with my surgeon for not doing it in one.

Also they did not discuss the revision surgery until after the band is out.  Depending on the damage they find can make the difference what surgery they may be able to do.  Also I had to have they band out before I could get the revision started with the insurance.

Good luck and keep us updated please.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active