Have any of you gone from the Lap Band to a sleeve?

aces70
on 1/27/13 4:58 am, edited 1/27/13 5:01 am - TX

I've been banded a little over 2 years. I've gone from 232 to 149. 

It hasn't all been blissful. For the past year every time my surgeon does  a fill or an unfill I swell so badly that I can only do liquids for the next two weeks. Some days even liquids won't go down. 

Lately I am hungry all the time and don't have much restricition anymore. My surgeon mentioned that I may have a dialated esophagus. He didn't offer to do any testing for it and said it's not a big deal and placed .2 cc's more in my band. That seems to have helped but my other issue is the last  few months when I take certain types of pills I get the most horrid burning ever in my throat, I'm not sure if it's in my band or my esophagus. Because I'm hungry all the time now I have also gained weight. I'm currently at 165:( 

I have thought about converting to the sleeve because after reading up on esophageal dialation I really think that could be what's going on. Why isn't my doctor doing any testing for this though? I am insured so money isn't the problem.  My surgeon is a general surgeon but I thought about trying to see a weight loss surgeon.

What tests should I be asking for? Just an upper GI? 

Have any of you gone from the band to the sleeve? Do you have any regrets? 

I should also mention, gaining back this weight is just NOT an option. I had a tummy tuck last year so I need to do everything I can to keep my weight off. I'm currently doing Weigh****chers to hopefully get back to 149. 

pineview01
on 1/27/13 8:01 am - Davison, MI

I just got my sleeve on Tuesday!  I had my band out 9/4/12.  I was banded 2/25/13.  You story is very common here and on the sleeve boards.  They say the sleeve does what the band promised.

We even have just started a New Group called Band2Sleeve!  Also check out the Failed Lap band Group.  There are almost as many failed band members as there are Band Grands.

Many people get the upper GI and are told the band is perfect! Just to find out they have erosion, dilation, scare build up under the band and many other issues Ask for the scope, they look inside the throat/stomach. 

Check out those two groups(my story is at both) and the VSG boards.  If you have any other questions PM me!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mama2ellie
on 2/5/13 1:38 am - Huntersville, NC
Where is the band2sleeve group? Us it separate forum off site? I have had it with my band & looking to revise to a sleeve.
Blessings, Kathy             

Hislady
on 1/27/13 10:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Your doc is crazy!!! When you are dialated you need the band emptied NOT another fill!!! Good grief I can't believe any doc would do that. You need to get and EGD and see what shape your band is really in and even then many times when the docs say it all looks fine there are erosions and things once they go in to remove the band. Don't let this ride, the majority of the time if you feel something is off with the band it is indeed a problem.

Dev *.
on 1/30/13 5:47 am - Austin, TX

I'm with you, dilation pretty much always means an UNFILL, not a fill! It is a big deal as it can cause acid reflux as well as further dilation of your esophagus. Please, please insist upon an EGD!

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

aces70
on 1/27/13 11:08 am - TX
Thanks for your positive replies! I do feel like I need further testing. Things just don't feel right anymore. I feel like the sleeve would be a really good, hopefully final, weight loss surgery for me. It honestly seems like the band has a lot more future complications than what the sleeve does.
grannymedic1
on 1/27/13 10:19 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

If you truly have a dilated esophagus you must have all your fluid removed and given 6-8 weeks to see if things improve. It they do you can have small fills to gradually get to a good (but loose) restriction. If things do not improve or you cannot tolerate the fills as your surgeon to refer you to a weight loss surgeon, a good one. I honestly don't think this surgeon understands the band very well. Many bariatric surgeons don't like to work on someone else's work but this one is important.

Am UGI may not show the dilation but it is a good starting place. You have to have documentation in order for your insurance to approve any revision. In the mean time you need to concentrate on eating properly even with out a fill. It isn't easy but get rid of all the sliders and junk and concentrate solely on dense protein, veggies, whole grains and fruit. That way you can minimize the weight gain and be in the best health for another surgery if needed.

Good luck.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

aces70
on 1/28/13 6:39 am - TX
Argh. Saturday I was throwing up and could barely keep down liquids. Yesterday I was able to eat just fine. Today I'm back to throwing up again
Stephanie M.
on 1/28/13 11:14 am

1. Get a complete unfill

2. Liquid/soft diet 48 hrs

3. Reintroduce solids one at a time as tolerated.

...after 4-6 weeks get another Esophogram to determine if your dilation has resolved.  If it has and you still have restriction, do not get a fill.  If you are able to eat normally, pre band normal, try a small fill.  Repeat steps 2, 3.

i had a complete unfill almost 8 months ago, no fills since and am losing slowly.  It can be done.  Best of luck to you!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pineview01
on 1/28/13 8:25 pm - Davison, MI

What Steph said.  Get that band unfilled and tested asap if your having that kind of problems.

I had to have min totally unfilled twice. First time for 6 weeks 1yr out and second 8 weeks 2 yrs out. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active