Revision, recovery time?

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/13 9:41 pm

Hi All-

I was supposed to have my revision surgery over feb break (band over bypass) but the surgeon cancelled the appointment and subsequently moved.

I found someone who can do it the week before, but I have no sick time to take. They said I need to be out of work for a week. Is it feasible to take the say after surgery off, then go back to work for 2 days, and then be off for the week?

I don't know how the recovery for the band is...

happygrandma
on 1/22/13 8:25 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I had my surgery on Dec 17th.  I don't know how old you are (I'm 60) but I couldn't have done it that soon.  Guess it depends on what you do.  You will be sore and very tired.  It's major surgery.  I went back after 2 weeks but wished I had waited longer.

I think the fatigue is the biggest thing but you'll also need some time to figure out your eating and drinking schedule and your pill.

Trent R.
on 1/22/13 2:41 pm - Yukon, OK
Revision on 12/24/12
I'm not sure about the band, but I just had my gastric bypass revised. I really didn't feel any pain. I'm a real estate agent and was back showing houses after about four days. I would have gone back to work sooner if I sat at a desk all day. I had my revision on Christmas Eve. I was discharged from the hospital on Christmas Day. I went straight from the hospital to a Christmas party. I didn't even rest until late that night. It's not near as bad as it was the first go round. Hope this helps.

“In case you never get a second chance: don't be afraid!" "And what if you do get a second chance?" "You take it!” ― C. JoyBell C.

Tonya M.
on 1/25/13 3:50 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Hey Trent, question for you?  Well maybe a few?  You said you had your gastric bypass revised?  To another surgery or just revised your current surgery?  If you don't mind me asking, what was done on your revision?  How come you were discharged so quickly after your revision?  Thanks ahead of time..

Tonya

Trent R.
on 1/25/13 7:37 am - Yukon, OK
Revision on 12/24/12
Tonya,

I don't mind answering any questions you have about my revision. Here is what happened to me. I had RXN-Y Gastric Bypass in October 2007. I lost 165 pounds and kept it off for two and a half years without a single complication.

In March 2010, I developed a hernia of the mesentary (the tube that carries blood to your bowels). I had an emergency surgery to repair that. A month later, I had an obstruction of the small bowel, two weeks later another obstruction of the small bowel. To make a really long, boring story a wee bit shorter, this happened several times. Between March and December of 2010, I had the hernia of the mesentary, 8 small bowel obstructions, and a partial colon removal. Other than my daughter being born during all of this chaos, it was a year from hell.

After my last bowel obstruction, which was in December 2010, my weight just started pouring back on. I would try to stick to the plan, but I felt absolutely no restriction whatsoever. After all the trauma and the loss of my restruction from the gastric bypass, I pretty much gave up. Nothing I did (or tried to do) seemed to matter anyhow. I haven't had any other complications since then.

After being at my whit's end with the weight gain, I went to another bariatric facility to see what was wrong with me and to see if I could get revised (if there is a problem). After an endoscopy, it was found that I had a huge bulge off the side of my pouch, which basically gave more room for food to go, which was why I couldn't feel the restriction any longer.

What my revision was, was to remove 2/3 of my stomach, which was basically stapling off that bulge and removing it. It went great and now I had the tool that I originally had. They didn't had to disconnect anything or reconnect it and it was a piece of cake.

“In case you never get a second chance: don't be afraid!" "And what if you do get a second chance?" "You take it!” ― C. JoyBell C.

pineview01
on 1/25/13 11:59 am - Davison, MI

I had a band to sleeve revision.  All I know is my recovery time,  even with all the damaged caused by the band having to be dealt with is so much easier this time than when I got the crap band.  I wouldn't recommend a band to my worst enemy.  But, I realize the BOB is the fad right now until the RNYers start having the same issues.

Good luck with yours.

ps If you already had it I wouldn't have posted this but, if I can save even one person from what I and now the Majority of banders are going thru.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

idahomamaof2
on 2/20/13 10:26 am

I had my revison from band to RNY. Was up and walking the first night, and discharged the next evening. Went back to work week 3. I could have gone back in week 1, but was very tired. Also, my BMI was only 35 and I didnt have many comorbidities.  I think for those with diabetes, and higher BMI it is harder. I wish you luck.Also, not sure a doc would give you discharge on day 2 to go back to work. I hope it works outs.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/13 10:30 am
Thanks, I'd actually be doing the opposite of you...from RNY to lap band...we will see how it goes...hoping better than RNY
Most Active