Surgeon visit

tiny1
on 1/22/13 8:58 pm - Clarksville, TN

Ann,

Thanks so much for the support. I did attend a seminar in Nashville last night and had a chance to talk to Dr. Houston. Well, he pretty much said the same thing as Dr. Steely! Of course he said he does not do the full revision from RNY to DS it is way too dangerous. He kept coming back to diet issues as well. I kept telling him, I pretty much stick to the diet plan and still gaining weight. He told me to increase my exercise and divide my calories into more meals. He does not support the full revision, said it is too hard on the body. Well, strike #2! Guess I will return to my research and find a qualified surgeon who does the RNY to DS and make travel arrangements to go see him. Thanks for taking time to respond, I appreciate it.

Shelly

Tonya M.
on 1/25/13 3:57 am - Fort Dodge, IA

That is just appalling you were treated with such hostility and un-professionalism.  I am sorry that those things were said to you.  I visited 2 different surgeons, neither were my original surgeon as I do not live in that city anymore.  One of the surgeon's did an EGD and found that both the stoma and pouch had stressed and the only way to correct it would be with a revision.  The other surgeon I visited was nice, but wasnt comfortable doing a revision, and instead wanted to me try phentermine.  So Ive gone back to this other surgeon's office (the surgeon who did the EGD has since left to another practice) but this new surgeon who will be doing my revision is extremely knowledgeable and very very nice and caring.  Couldn't ask for anyone b

Heather V.
on 1/26/13 9:04 am

So sorry to hear how that went Shelly!  We are all here for you.  I know how bad that rejection can feel.  9 years ago I was knocked down, time and time again from the insurance, but not the doc.  Finally I won, but so many times I had to put away the boxing gloves, until I got my strength back, and it was worth it in the end.  What I'm trying to say, is don't give up, as there a lot of other very qualified, and compassionate surgeons out there.  Besides, if hes that big of a jerk, you wouldn't want that if you had to have surgery with him again, especially if he has some very twisted, and strong opinions!!!  Looks like your on the east side of the state.  If you don't have luck there, maybe check into Grand Rapids.  I had Dr. Randall Baker, and hes awesome!  He was actually the first surgeon, nationally to ever  do the Rouen-Y GBS laproscopically!  Of course now most do, but I will say, he does great things.  Send me a message if you would like their number.  Otheriwse, I will say a prayer for you - stay strong girl!!

smileyjamie72
on 1/26/13 11:09 am - Palmer, AK

Geeze, talk about "Blaming the patient"  UGH!!!!!

My advice about converting to the DS is to RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!  I read a paper written by Dr. Keshishian over on his website it is under the About Us tab, and then under Research and Publications, titled 'Duodenal Switch is a Safe Operation for Patients who have failed Other Bariatric Operations'

Good Luck!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active