Surgeon visit

tiny1
on 1/21/13 8:07 am - Clarksville, TN

Today I went to my GB Surgeon to have my yearly checkup and discuss a revision to DS. Well, once I told him I had gained 45 lbs in the last 2 years and wanted to have a Upper GI or Endoscopy to check to see if my pouch had stretched or if my Stoma had stretched. He said "You don't need a revision you need to follow the food plan! You are putting too much of the wrong foods in your mouth! The surgery doesn't fail, you fail. And besides the revision doesn't work, you would only lose about 20 lbs and that would be all. You need to make an appointment with the Nutritionist." I proceeded to tell him that I can eat more now than ever and that I am not staying full but maybe an hour or two and then I'm hungry again. He then said I was eating too much mashed potatoes with butter and things I shouldn't be eating and not enough protien. He said there is no need to run these tests, I just need to get back to basics. I was stunned. He said if nothing else he will see me next year. I said what about my labs and he said oh yeah, here go have this list of lab work done and I'll call you when I have the results, and left the room! I was furious! He would not even listen to me! Of course he does not do the revision from RNY to DS, and did not want to discuss it. Now my question is.....can I call up one of the doctors who do the revision and get them to run the Upper GI or Endoscopy to see if it medically necessary to have a revision?(If my stoma or pouch is streched). Has this happened to anyone else and how did you handle it? Thanks.

Shelly

pineview01
on 1/21/13 10:02 am - Davison, MI

Your PCP can order the test for you and have the results sent to one of the Doctors that do it.  I would go to the DS boards there are some great people over there that will help you with all you need to know and do.

Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tiny1
on 1/22/13 3:12 am - Clarksville, TN

Thank you I will.

clpeltz
on 1/21/13 10:24 am

*******!

Fire him!

How DARE he!  I am livid for you!

Make an appt with one of the docs on the RNY-DS revision surgeon list.  I am sorry that you had such a horrific experience with that asshat.  YOU DID NOT FAIL!  Remember that!  YOU ARE AWESOME AND DESERVE BETTER!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

tiny1
on 1/22/13 3:13 am - Clarksville, TN

Thank you. I thought he would be the best place to start, but boy was I wrong! I have made an appointment with Dr. Houston in Nashville and hope it goes alot better. I am attending a seminar in Nashville tonight at Centennial. Thanks for your support.

Shelly

beanybaby
on 1/21/13 2:26 pm

Oh honey, I'm sorry your surgeon is such an arrogant tool!   I agree - fire his ass.

RNY fails many people, and yes, revising to another type of RNY, like ERNY, does often fall short of expectations. He's not the first surgeon that has tried to blame the patient for a failing surgery. They don't like failures on their track record. 

The DS is the best chance for you to take off the additional pounds, but your surgeon can't do this revision. 

I'd go see a real DS revision surgeon, and here's a recent post in which Jamie has listed them. Don't buy into the noise about other surgeons being able to do this revision, or that they are only on this list because they are some ones favorite pet or some idiotic crap. These are the vetted surgeons who have proven themselves with THIS REVISION surgery, with is like no other. 

tiny1
on 1/22/13 3:16 am - Clarksville, TN

Thanks, I have done my research and I know about the vetted surgeon and will chose one of them when ready.I just couldn't believe his attitude!

saralynne65
on 1/21/13 2:54 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

Wow, I can't believe he spoke to you like that. Irregardless of how he felt, he should have never spoke to you disrespectfully.

For that alone-I would find a new surgeon. 

If you think/feel there is something wrong-find a doc that will send you for the appropriate tests. It took me four consults before I found a surgeon that I trust and am able to verbalize my concerns to and have them addressed. He is very respectful and serious about what he does.

You must find a surgeon that you feel comfortable and able to discuss your conditions without feeling so blindsided.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

~Saralynne

tiny1
on 1/22/13 3:19 am - Clarksville, TN

Saralynne,

Thanks for the support, I have begun the process of checking out surgeons, I just thought my own surgeon would be more understanding. I will not be going back to him, he does not understand WLS at all. Thanks for being there for me.

Shelly

sfnativewm
on 1/22/13 4:16 am

You need to find another surgeon!    Unless he has a certificate in nutrition, and psychology I am finding that they are surgeons that are more than capable of performing state of the art surgery BUT are really clueless to what an obese person goes through!

I finally have a great nutritionist and am following The Virgin diet, by j.j. virgin.    OMG I am losing weight, not starving and feel better than I have in a very long time!!      I was lucky to lose a pound in a month then gain it back, etc!   and no it wasn't me and my stuffing my face, it was the fact that my body did not like certain foods etc.

Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Most Active