VBG revision to Gastric Bypass

nikkim1020
on 1/21/13 2:09 am

VBG revision to Gastric Bypass......awaiting surgery date !!!! 

I have went thru  the VBG  13 yrs ago & lost only 50 lbs.  Was disappointed & needless to say gained it all back plus 30 more on top of it.   Finally after much research, praying & wondering took the plunge to have a revision. Had the scope done to make sure I could have it done without hopefully alot of complications & Dr. was very positive about it.  Went thru the 9 months of Drs. appts, Psych. appts, nutrition classes, etc. for insurance approval. They approved & now awaiting a surgery date.   Have mixed feelings of What am I doing? to Maybe this time it will work & this is the surgery I should have had done initially, to Lets get this thing over it, to Am I going to die ?   Are these feeling common from other revision patients ????

Pattycake1947
on 1/21/13 4:21 am - Boyd, TX

I had VBG 12 years ago. I did lose 150 pounds but in the past couple of years I have put 75 pounds back on. I still have two steps left before they submit my case to the insurance. I have really prayed about this and I'm ready to do this. Where do you live and who is your doctor? I was suppose to have a surgery date in February but we are waiting for insurance approval for the sleep study test. maybe we could keep in touch and you can let me know how your revision surgery went.

nikkim1020
on 1/21/13 6:52 pm

Pattycake.....Cleveland, OH area here.  Awaiting my surgery date...am getting very nervous the closer it gets. Will keep you up to date w/ whats going on when I hear something.

saralynne65
on 1/21/13 3:04 pm, edited 1/21/13 3:05 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

I'm having revision 1/23. I have the same anxiety and fear. I don't want to die from surgical or post op complications.

I also don't want to die from obesity. It's scary. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid. But I am so tired of feeling tired,

blah, slow, short of breath-you know all of it. I want to be healthy and feel good again.

I hope I am making the right decision. I'll probably be wondering that the next few weeks as well.

But I am looking forward to getting my energy level back. To being able to wear a pretty dress at my

sons wedding in the fall and looking good, to being able to enjoy traveling without being exhausted..

I too wish I would have had the RNY the first time. But I was too afraid to do it. Had I known! But I have talked with

a few ladies here that have had revision and they are doing great. I can deal with a few weeks of feeling rough

if I know I'm going to get better and feel better every day..

Hang tough-we'll just be scared & get through it together, okay?

~Saralynne

nikkim1020
on 1/21/13 6:54 pm

Saralynne.....lets just pray everything goes well for all us going thru this long journey of surgeries, revisions, etc.  Good luck, will keep you posted on whats going on here.

Lisaann68
on 1/21/13 11:20 pm
Good luck to all of you!!! I had the awful VBG as well, in 2006...then in 2009 I had mine revised to the DS!

I totally can relate to the surgery fear!! I was too!!!!! I hope you have an easy recovery!!!!

Lisa
Mstan76
on 2/3/13 7:07 am
I had my band to bypass revision on Thursday 1/31! I can also relate to troubles regarding the band. Even when I ate foods that should go down easily I was throwing it up and I began to worry about the acid causing esophageal problems. My surgeon was wonderful. I had some anxiety, but I got through I lost 40 lbs with the band. I did manage to but 16 back on.... All I can say is educate yourself on the different options...
Most Active