Wanting to go Carb Free (Breads, Pasta, Rice, etc....)

SandiB025
on 1/16/13 12:48 pm - Gwynn Oak, MD
So, after reading a few post I've decided that I'd like to consume minimal to no carbs. My procedure was completed on 1/8, so I'm a little over a week post op. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on introducing a nearly carb free diet (with the exception of fruit and oatmeal)? Before surgery, I only purchased brown rice, high fiber wheat bread, wheat pasta, and sweet potatoes. I tried to keep my carbs as complex as possible. However, these are my trigger foods, and to be quite honest, I'm afraid consuming these foods will hinder me from getting the upper hand on my relationship with food. Do you all think it's possible to consume one of the listed foods weekly, or should I avoid them completely? Any & all advice & testimonies are welcomed.

Thank you 😊

*Does anyone know who to upload pics using an iPad2?
pineview01
on 1/16/13 1:05 pm - Davison, MI

The only successful weight loss I have had is low carb.  Even when I lost with the band it was low carb before I could no longer eat dense protein.  I personally cant eat breads, pasta and rice as the too are my trigger foods.  For me it is all or none.  I do dense protein than veggies.  I do do sweet potatoes some as they really are good for you.  I just don't use anything on them.

What revision did you go from to?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

SandiB025
on 1/16/13 1:11 pm - Gwynn Oak, MD
I too have the all or nothing attitude, so think I pretty much know my answer until I'm able to change. How often do you eat sweet potatoes? I actually posted on the wrong board.... Oops. This is my first wls. Thanks for your encouragement
MsBatt
on 1/17/13 1:23 am

I think you'd be better off eating some veggies rather than fruit. Most fruits are very high in sugar---that's why they taste so good. (*grin*)

Ladytazz
on 1/17/13 5:37 am

Don't go no carb.  We need carbs to function.  I am gluten free and sugar free, however I eat plenty of carbs.  I find that not eating those things makes my life easier and eliminates the cravings I constantly had before.  Refined carbs are the worst but for me any wheat, whole, ground, sprouted or whatever causes me to want more.  I don't know why but there is a book called Wheat Belly that confirms I am not alone.  I avoid processed foods and eat mainly meat, vegetables, fruits, dairy and nuts and of course some grains, just not grains with gluten.

I have gluten free bread and pasta very occasionally and I have never had a problem with them.  I don't crave them like I do real stuff.  I can take it or leave it.  I also eat sugar free things with no problem.  The last time I tracked my eating my carbs were like 200 grams.  Yet I haven't gained weight.  I believe it's because of the kind of carbs I eat.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active