Any suggestions?

gantgirl2
on 1/13/13 3:35 am

I had a revision from a gastric bypass to a DS ON 11/26/12. Starting weight 329 , 1 1/2 weeks ago i was down to 293 now i am back up to 299. I started following the Atkins diet around that time. Is this the wrong diet plan for me, is this the reason i am gaining? I am so frustrated , i cant mess this one up too. Any suggestions i am seriously stressing out.

beanybaby
on 1/13/13 4:05 am

Hang in there, and make sure you are getting enough protein, and not too many carbs. Revisions lose more slowly than virgin surgeries - it's just the way it is.

A bounce in weight also screams water retention. Are you getting near your period, or have you eaten something with much sodium lately? 

Weight loss is rarely a even decline. I looked at it like a ball bouncing down some steps - a loss, followed by a small gain, then another loss. My weight bounced slowly down like that for nearly 2 years.

gantgirl2
on 1/13/13 4:15 am

Yes to both questions. I started following the Atkins diet bacon, sausage etc... and yes i am a few days away from starting my period. Thank you for your help. I need to talk to my NUT to see exactly what diet is right for my revision.Once again thank you for replying.

In it to win it !!!

beanybaby
on 1/13/13 9:07 am

I'm in the same boat with you right now, with the PMS and having eaten beef jerky and salty chips, so I'm really uncomfortable too.

As far as the NUT goes, keep in mind that many give the DSers RNY guidelines, and you don't need low fat. In fact, the low fat stuff is usually higher in carbs, and we DO care about keeping simple carbs low.

Looking at one of the food threads on the DS board is a great idea too - I get a lot of high protein ideas when I'm not feeling inspired.

gantgirl2
on 1/14/13 11:50 am

That darn scale. Lol , i gave it to my  sister.  So i DSers need high protein , high fat , low carbs?

In it to win it !!!

Hislady
on 1/13/13 7:01 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with beanybaby probably water weight. Also Atkins can have alot of fat and sodium. There is a newer version of Atkins with lower fat and a little more in carbs so make sure you are doing the newer version. Atkins is great for a high protein diet but we do need to make sure it is lean protein rather than high fat. I think a meeting with your nut is a great idea, see if there are ways of meshing the Atkins with the nits plan. Good luck to you!!

clpeltz
on 1/13/13 8:57 am

We DSers NEED high fat diets because of the malabsoption. 

To the OP.....hang in there dear.  There are normal stalls and revisions do tend to lose slower than virgin DSers.  I think the Atkins is just fine.  I never weigh during the few days leading up to my period until a few days after.  Just not worth the stress, lol.  Make sure that you are eating protein first...getting at least 60 g a day (you are just about two months out I think).  90g per day by 3 months out and then 150g per day after that.  Make sure you are getting at least 120oz unsweetened fluids per day.  Make sure you are getting enough fat in your diet.  You'll do great!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

gantgirl2
on 1/14/13 11:46 am

Thank you . I have not been eating high fat ,i have been doing the opposite.I will check out the Adkins diet , Iam so confused as to what i should be eating. I guess i will figure it out one day one and i hope soon. LOL.

In it to win it !!!

gantgirl2
on 1/14/13 11:53 am

Thank you for your help , i feel a lot better now. I will check out the newer version of the Atkins diet and see if it works for me. I will keep you guys posted.

In it to win it !!!

Hislady
on 1/14/13 6:30 am - Vancouver, WA

Oops clpelz is right I forgot that DSers need the fat! Listen to her not me, just be patient and keep on keepin' on, you'll get there in time. Try not to stress that just makes you want to eat. mail

Most Active