Dr. Houston in Nashville

tiny1
on 1/8/13 11:58 pm - Clarksville, TN

Wanted to know if Dr. Houston in Nashville does the complete RNY to DS surgery? If anyone has had a RNY revision to DS with him I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

clpeltz
on 1/9/13 12:39 am, edited 1/9/13 12:44 am

NO. 

Here is the list of RNY-DS revision surgeons:

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Sudan, located in North Carolina

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey

Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4583840/dont-write-a-surgeon-off-because-hes-not-on-the-short-list/)

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

tiny1
on 1/9/13 4:33 am - Clarksville, TN

He is listed on the dsfacts website as doing the RNY to DS! Do you know exactly what the surgery is that he is calling a RNY revision to DS??

MsBatt
on 1/9/13 4:48 am

Unless he's changed in the past couple of years he's not. I called the office for someone and asked them to give me details of exactly what he'd do, and it was just an ERNY.

clpeltz
on 1/9/13 5:47 am

It only shows on dsfacts.com that he performs the DS.  And, he does perform the DS as a virgin surgery.  Revisions are all different and are all on a different level of difficulty.  Just because a surgeon may perform some revisions, does not mean that her performs all revisions.  The RNY-DS revision is the most complicated revision and has the highest chanced for post op complications.  So, it is very important to have a very experienced surgeon who knows what he/she is doing.  The surgeons on the list above are very experienced and trusted by our immense DS community here on OH as a whole.  I personally would not want to have a surgeon do this revision on me if he/she had only done a handful of them.  I definitely would not want to be their first!

All I can advise is to do your due diligence and research.  If you go to see this doctor, question the hell out of him.  How many RNY to True DS revisions has he done?  What are his complication statistics?  How is his after care?  Can you speak to any other patients who have had the RNY to DS with him (if there are any)?  I understand that it is very difficult with no one on the list being from TN.  I was extremely lucky to have one of the best in my back yard.  If I had needed to travel or pay out of pocket, I most likely would not have been able to get my revision. 

Dr. Henry Buchwald

tiny1
on 1/10/13 1:51 am - Clarksville, TN

I called Centennial Center for Obesity (Center of Excellence) and asked if Dr. Housten did the revision RNY to a full DS and the answer is yes. He has been doing them for several years with excellent reviews!

clpeltz
on 1/10/13 2:15 am

That's great!  Keep us posted on how things go with him.  It would be great to add to our list!

Dr. Henry Buchwald

tiny1
on 1/10/13 5:43 am - Clarksville, TN

Thanks, I will post updates as they come.

MsBatt
on 1/10/13 5:32 am

That's what they told me, too, but when I questioned them on whether he took the RNY down completely then made a Sleeved stomach, they said no.

Get details before you commit to this.

tiny1
on 1/10/13 10:28 am - Clarksville, TN

When did they tell you this? I just spoke with them on Wednesday and they said he does the full revision from RNY to a full DS at the Centennial Center for Obesity.

Most Active