Wanting to hear from others who had the VSG and had it switched to something else

LaToya S.
on 1/1/13 8:40 am - Edwardsville, IL
I have not been on the OH site in over 5 months and visited again today. I had the VSG on 11/30/11 and lost over 121 pounds and have since gained back 23. I had the VSG in the hopes of getting to a lower weight and then have it switched to something else. I feel like I really do need the mal-absorption aspect of WLS.

Has anyone had a revision surgery from the VSG? I have found a surgeon that does revision surgeries in my area and will be going to his seminar on the 16th of January and then go from there about getting approved.

My current surgeon does not do any type of revisions so I have/had to find another surgeon.

I am frustrated that with my weight loss that I only went down one size in my clothes. I knew that with my starting weight that I would probably benefit most from doing WLS in two parts.

Do you usually have to wait 2 years before having a revision surgery?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to the New Year and I cannot wait to hear from everyone!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Hislady
on 1/1/13 10:04 am - Vancouver, WA

Since you already have the first part of the DS that would be the most logical next surgery. It does require life time of vitamin supplementation but is also very effective.

clpeltz
on 1/1/13 12:05 pm

The only logical revision from VSG is the DS.  You need to make sure that your surgeon does the DS.  Visit dsfacts.com to see a list of vetted DS surgeons.  Good luck!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

AsuraDunnigan
on 1/2/13 11:07 am - Detroit, MI

Happy New Year!  October 2009 I had a VSG.  My highest weight was 325 lbs, but I was 314 lbs at the time of surgery.  I am scheduled to be re-sleeved, have a hiatic hernia repair, and a gallbladder removal on 1/15/13.  I started wearing a size 26/28 and I now wear a size 16.  I have fluctuated between 221 lbs - 255 lbs. since 6 months post op.  I have also had health issues (mainly sciatic nerve and back problems) since surgery.

After following up with my surgeon's office about 6 months post op. they were very displeased with my weight loss (although I was about 221 lbs. at that time).  This was very discouraging and I was very consistent and working really hard to lose weight.  I went back to the office one time since then to meet with the nutritionist.  I have a different surgeon now and I feel very confident that I will be successful, heck I have been successful already.

It was discovered that my stomach had been dilated and I needed the above procedures in addition to rectify the gallstone/ reflux issues.  It was decided on 10/20/12 that I needed a "partial-gastrectomy" as well as the other procedures mentioned.  Just before xmas I received my surgery date.  Today is the first day of my liquid diet (800 cal.)...its not as bad as the first time so far.  Peace and Blessings.

Ticker represents first goal.          
MsBatt
on 1/2/13 11:13 pm

I feel like I really do need the mal-absorption aspect of WLS.

Then you need to add the Switch for a full DS. Malabsorption of calories is permanent with the DS, only temporary with the RNY. Keep in mind that you will malabsorb certain vitamins and minerals with either the DS or the RNY.

Why did you have the VSG instead of the full DS to begin with,since you say you went into the VSG intending to switch to "something else" once you got to a lower weight? Did your surgeon just not DO the DS?

LaToya S.
on 2/17/13 10:34 am - Edwardsville, IL
Correct, there are not DS surgeons in my area. I will have to travel to Chicago which is 5+ hours away.

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

smileyjamie72
on 2/18/13 8:57 am - Palmer, AK

The travel is such a "small drop in he bucket" in the scheme of life.  I traveled from Alaska in 2002 for my RNY (I did not know the DS exsisted at the time).  Then in December 2011, I traveled from Alaska to California to have the revision from RNY to DS.

Good Luck to you!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active