Lap band out....then what?

Polarsnooze
on 12/31/12 3:07 am - CA
I have had a lap band for about 6 years now. Did great in the beginning but then started to vomit everything I ate. All the fill has been removed for about the last 4 years now. Recently my reflux has gotten a lot worse (2 MEDS daily now) so I went to bariatric doc for a consult. He said I should have band removed and get gastric bypass. He said sleeve would probably make reflux worse. But my insurance said this doc (that they sent me to...gotta love an HMO) is not contracted to so surgery so now waiting for my appointment on Jan 11 with "approved" surgeon. Has anyone heard this before? Sleeve vs bypass in regards to reflux?

pineview01
on 12/31/12 4:13 am, edited 12/31/12 4:14 am - Davison, MI

You might want to check out the failed lap band group.  Over 600 members with lots of info and stories.  Also check out the VSG and RNY boards as there are many revisions there.  I had my band out after 3.5years.  Even unfilled I had the reflux and vomiting.

I didn't have reflux before getting the band.  The reflux stopped after the band came out.  I am going with the sleeve as I did well with portion control and don't want to deal with mal-absorption of the rny.  I would get the DS if I wanted mal-absorption.

My surgeon does band (which he doesn't recommend unless patient is adamant), RNY and the Sleeve.  He is the one that said the sleeve would be m best chose as the reflux resolved with the band being removed.  If a surgeon doesn't or doesn't like to do a procedure they will try to talk up into something else some times.

Do you have any other medical issues to consider.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 12/31/12 5:24 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Piney that reflux caused by the band is usually resolved with removal of the band. Even if it isn't personally I would go with the sleeve even if I had to continue to take meds for the reflux. The sleeve gives you a life long weight loss surgery where with the bypass you start reabsorbing calories after a few years out and often need yet another surgery to get back on track again. Also the DS is another good life long surgery but it requires alot of vitamin supplementation for life. So I would suggest you research like crazy the other surgery options because I would imagine you don't want yet another surgery later. Good luck to you!

MsBatt
on 12/31/12 6:44 am

The Band is notorious for causing reflux. It may go away when you get that thing out of you.

The RNY is considered the go-to surgery for reflux. However, there are a lot of reason to choose the Sleeve over the RNY, unless the reflux is your major concern. I personally think keeping your pylorus is a REALLY good reason to choose the Sleeve.

As a DSer, I have a Sleeved stomach. Pre-op, I had pretty bad reflux. In the past 9 years since my DS, I've had ZERO reflux.

Polarsnooze
on 12/31/12 7:43 am - CA
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I do also take two meds for high blood pressure and monthly B-12 injections for Pernicious Anemia. I've had the reflux for years, even before band. When I had the band put in doctor fixed a hiatal hernia at that time. I felt really good for a while after and went off one of the reflux meds and one of the blood pressure meds. You're right tho', I don't want to have another surgery if I make the wrong choice! I just want to get going one way or the other! I know it's not a decision I should rush, but I also have plantar fasciitis in both feet with ruptures, tears, and a sprained ankle that will not heal and of course losing weight will go a long way to help that. My nature is to jump right in so I guess this is something I really need to do some more research on.

pineview01
on 12/31/12 10:13 am - Davison, MI

Research all your options.  You don't want to jump into this without all the info you can get.  The Psych at my 2nd eval told me this was my last chance.  He doesn't approve a 3rd and you HAVE to get his blessing to get a surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TamaraL
on 1/1/13 6:52 am

i had the lap band and had revision.  my surgeon did not even consider the sleeve because my heart burn had been so bad.  the sleeve causes the stomach to be narrow and many people have severe heart burn with the sleeve that have never had it before.

do your research and choose what is best for you.  also before going to new appt find out your insurance requirements and what  they will cover. some insurance companies will not cover sleeve

Tamara

saralynne65
on 1/2/13 12:02 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

I have almost the same issue as you, went to four different consultations and was told by two surgeons the sleeve was an option and by two others that I would be a poor candidate fr the sleeve due to my hiatal hernia which was repaired when my band was placed and now has to be repaired again when the band is removed.

I'm scheduled for lap removal/hh repair/rny on 1/23. I am definately much more fearful this time-it's a lot of surgery. And I've got some concerns, which I posted on another post. The sleeve seems  better r/t the preserved pylorus and no stomach remnant left, but I can't take the risk of more GERD, I've had it for years as well even before my lap band.

Best of luck to you! I pray we both make the best decisions for our health and happiness ((Hug)) I would love to hear some more success stories from some folks 5-10 years out and more. I don't want to do it again either!

Saralynne

Joyceebaby
on 1/3/13 9:14 am
RNY on 11/29/12

Our stories are quite similar.  I had my band 7 years, other than that our stories about almost identical!  My surgeon does not do the revision all in one procedure.  He removes the band, then waits 6 weeks to allow the stomach to take as much of its natural shape as possible, then does the revision (sleeve or rny - he does not do DS).  I chose RNY because of my reflux issues.  I had reflux WITH the band and I had worse reflux within a week of the band removal.  After my RNY, zero reflux!  It's a blessing.  I will say that my rate of loss it much slower than I expected.  Averaging about 2 pounds per week.  I expected 3-4 per week for at least the first 2-3 months...but hey, it's coming off, I feel satisfied after eating.  I've had zero problems eating (except for some intolerances, but that's to be expected).  So far I'm loving the change!

Most Active