Revision and weight loss question

Lujansgirl
on 12/17/12 3:05 am

I have a question..... I had to have my band removed due to complications and went to the sleeve - I got down to 190 (actually down to 163, but then put the weight back on with the complications)....So 190 at the time of revision surgery to the sleeve.  

Has anyone been through the revision when they were already in "onederland" and still had successful weight loss.  My goal weight is 125-135, and I am now 3 weeks post surgery at 175.  My loss has slowed WAY down, but I expected that.  I just want to know if it is realistic to reach this goal?  I have really had an emotional (as we all have) journey filled with frustration and self doubt.  I feel like I've been given a new chance at dropping down to my goal weight, but I don't want to give myself false hopes either.  Any input would be awesome!  Thanks!

What has your journey been like if you were in this same kind of boat?

Hislady
on 12/17/12 5:57 am - Vancouver, WA

I haven't actually had a revision but I know from reading here and on other forums that it can be painfully slow for some revisioners. You don't mention your height so it's hard to say whether that is a realistic goal. However your body will somewhat tell you when it's done losing and most folks who do get to a low goal usually have to really monitor their food very closely and exercise like crazy to get and stay there. I wish you the very best just take it one day at a time and hopefully you will get theere.

Lujansgirl
on 12/17/12 7:36 am

Well duh on my part...I guess I should have mentioned my height...heehee...I'm 5'4".  Thank you so much.  Ya, I wasn't sure how to guage this whole thing.  I did have one doc tell me I could get to 125, but I'm not sure how this will work now.  I think you are right though...patience is a big part of it.  Thanks for your reply. :)

tammym
on 12/18/12 3:28 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

My revision from VBG in 2001 (equivalent to band/sleeve surgeries today) to RNY in 2012 has been successful so far! I only lost 50lbs after VBG with a tremendous amount of effort, but I went from size 22 to size 2 in 10 months after the RNY. 

In my personal experience,  VBG, lap, adjustable band, and sleeve surgeries are a huge rip-off. I don't think providers are forthcoming enough about the 98% failure rate. No WLS is perfect, but if you need WLS, don't go for the lesser option, go for the best chance at better health you can. If they would have approved me for DS, I would have gone for it! 

As far as improving your results after-the-fact, the key is diet, exercise, and routine. When you find what works for you, stick to a very regimented schedule. 

Here's what I found that works for me: 

Start the day with ho****er with lemon to jump start your metabolism and curb cravings. (One packet of TRUE LEMON in 4oz ho****er.)

Take vitamins and medications daily. Keeping my asthma and blood sugar in check makes a difference!

Don't force yourself. If breakfast isn't your thing, ignore the "eat a big breakfast every day" preachers. I don't eat "breakfast," but after my lemon water, vitamins, and morning latte, it's not like I haven't consumed anything. I also don't "eat" lunch. Lunch is a cup of soup (campbells soup at hand is just right.) 

Get enough protein and vegetables. I eat a green salad with egg or cheese every day. Maybe yogurt and cauliflower work better for you. 

EXERCISE EVERY DAY! even if you only have a few minutes. There are plenty of youtube videos if you can't afford a gym. I prefer to go running outside. Try for an hour, but if you only have 10 minutes, do ten minutes. After my progress stalled last summer, I found an exercise program called "Couch to 5k" that took me all the way to my goal weight and then some! This morning I only had a few minutes and no where to exercise without disturbing a house guest. So I did squats and crunches in the bathroom. 

Keep a positive attitude! Smile, laugh, enjoy life! Listening to "the secret" and other audiobooks about giving thanks and being grateful has had a tremendous impact on my success.

Don't listen to me- or anyone else. Take the advice that helps YOU, and ignore the rest. You are an individual, and there isn't one way that works for everyone. 

;-)

tammym
on 12/18/12 3:30 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I can't believe W*A*T*E*R is a forbidden word on this site! What's up with THAT?

Hislady
on 12/18/12 5:52 am - Vancouver, WA

You have your adult content guard on in your main settings, turn that off and it won't be a problems anymore. There was probably a t in the word in front of it making it look like **** which is a slur.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/20/12 3:52 am

Wow, I like how you group all the restrictive WLS into the 98% failure rate.  I hope you are not glorifying your new choice of surgery because there is some stats on that as well.    If you got approved for any WLS, you could have fought for the DS and won if that is what you needed.

No way any of these surgeries will do the work for you.   We've got to swim to our destination then keep swimming to maintain.

All Best!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tammym
on 12/20/12 11:49 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

You're right Zee, I did lump them all together, and I have no right to glorify "My" surgery as the best, since all the choices do have advantages and disadvantages.  

I'm still in the honeymoon period, so after getting to goal in ten months with RNY, I am prejudiced.  I know RNY and DS patients who have "failed" too. I agree that it's not as much about the type of surgery as it is about doing what is necessary to maintain.  I have done over 15 years of research, so I know that DS has the best success rate overall, but I also know of exactly zero patients who were able to get a DS with a start weight under 200lbs. 

Like most WLS patients, I fought long and hard, but after a two year fight and five appeals, all the way to the federal government level, I was just grateful to get any help at all. My insurance company actually wrote a specific exclusion to WLS as a result. 

Zee Starrlite
on 12/20/12 11:13 pm

Dear Rose . . .  I only wish you the very best on your journey!

Many Blessings,

Zee

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tammym
on 12/18/12 6:26 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

the word in front of  W*A*T*E*R was *H*O*T* as in, very warm. LOL! 

Most Active