Overstitch-ANY success???

Tri_harder
on 12/14/12 8:56 pm

Has anyone had success with the Overstitch procedure?  I am looking into it and can't find anyone sharing results after 1 year out.  Thanks,  Tri 

lacyadjuster
on 12/20/12 2:13 am - Woodland Hills, CA

Hi Tri,

I am looking into it and may have it in 8 days.  There is a you tube video out there that shows the procedure. Its endoscopic and looks fairly simple. 

I was originally was just going in  12/28/12 to get an ulcer and/or hernia fixed on the nonused stomach (#2) and the used stomach (#1) looked fine in all the tests.  Since I'm already going in for the laproscopic outpatient procedure on the ulcer/hernia, I proposed if I could get the stoma made smaller from my RNY of 11 years ago. I've regained 40 of the 92 lbs lost and would like to lose 50# to be at my ideal weight. 

I understand my insurance will do the whole hernia/ulcer repair, and cover it 100%, now its just if they would do the little side job and what that will  cost that is in front of me. I should know in next day or so.  If you have learned anything, let me know.  I haven't seen anything bad about it.  This potential to have a revision done literally just came at me in the past week.  I know it will be a big change but I have a much better understanding of what I need to do and a second chance would be quite the Christmas present.  

Best wishes to you Tri, wish me luck! :)   Lace

jfkmedic
on 10/23/13 8:39 am, edited 10/23/13 8:40 am - Huntington, NY
Revision on 04/30/12

I had the Overstitch repair April of 2012.  It went very well.  I was Dr. Buchin's first patient with this procedure, and to my knowledge the first in my area to have it done.  I had RNY bypass in 2002 and lost 150#.  I had regained about 75# over the 10 years, with the majority weight gain in the last 3 years.  My connection or anastomosis had opened very large, leaving me feeling never full or satisfied from meals.  My pouch was still "tiny" as described by Dr. B, but the opening was huge.  The overstitch procedure went very well!  I lost 65# and feel great!  I still want to loose 10-20 # more, and I am working on it. 

I highly recommend the procedure, but caution you that the closure could open easily.  I would ask the doctor who is doing the procedure to explain how he/she is going to secure the closure (mine was with suture material and argon laser) and ask what improvements in the material have been made in the past year or so.  I think my opening is getting bigger based on what I can eat. 

Remember, this is not a cure, just a tool to help us.  Good luck!

pineview01
on 10/23/13 11:44 am, edited 10/23/13 11:56 am - Davison, MI

She hasn't come back to post since January.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active