I wish I'd found this support system when I had my surgery 6 years ago

Summer_Winter
on 12/21/12 3:25 pm
I had RNY in '06 at 26 y/o. I weighed 340 on my date of surgery. My smallest weight was 207. I felt great initially, just enjoying 'normal' things that I never experienced-like running up a flight of stairs without getting winded; chasing my nephew around the yard; tying my shoes effortlessly, etc. What I wasn't prepared for was the psychological effects that it would have on me. It was hard for me to accept the newfound attention; and not just from guys, but people in general. I struggled with why people were just so much nicer and friendlier in general. On the outside I looked great; but inside I was dealing with the same depression I'd had all my life...just wanting to be accepted for ME. Not because people deemed me more attractive or approachable... I know I'm just going on and on...LOL! All this to say-this is a really great community and I wish I'd found it sooner
happygrandma
on 12/22/12 8:24 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I think that's so true, heavy people are treated differently.  It's funny because they say the majority of us are overweight or obese.  Being fat has nothing to do with your mental capability or your personality.  I think we just have to accept that it's the way it is.  I'm looking forward to clients taking me more seriously (I'm an investment advisor).  I guess going forward we just need to treat heavy people respectfully ourselves and hope it rubs off,  Being on this forum I've read about so many who are almost homebound, not able to deal with people.  That's just sad.

pineview01
on 12/26/12 12:44 pm - Davison, MI

Yep, I have gone way up and way down a few times in my life.  It always how people treat me different based on my weight.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active