Sleeved... and then re-sleeved??? Anybody??

Nichole E.
on 12/11/12 7:28 am - Chisago City, MN

I had VSG done 4 years ago and have gained it all back plus some.  Now I am scheduled to try it again.  Has anyone else been re-sleeved and if so, what was your experience? 

on 12/11/12 8:21 am

resleeve is dangerous, why don't you investigate the DS?

VSG TO DS REVISION 

gorditabonita
on 12/11/12 8:46 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

As someone about to have VSG, I am interested in know what went wrong. Would you care to share with me - either here or privately?

Thanks!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Nichole E.
on 12/11/12 10:35 am - Chisago City, MN

I'll be 100% honest.  I had the sleeve done and lost 60 lbs which brought me down to my ideal weight.  I maintained this for a while.  However, when I could no longer eat as much as I was used to and being that I was an emotional eater, I slowly started using alcohol as a substitute to deal with my emotions.  To make a really long story short, I ended up in treatment for alcoholism and once I was sober, I turned back to food.  I hear people often commenting about how quickly they feel "full" with the sleeve.  I think I have now learned that feeling "full" is not the goal nor is it good.  When a person feels "full" they have eaten too much and are inadvertently stretching their stomach.  The point is to eat just enough to be sated but not "full."  I read a lot of posts about how the sleeve is "the best thing" and how post-sleevers have "no regrets" but it isn't often that people who are more than 2-4 years out post.  Most of us long-timers who have failed don't return and post about our not being successful.  However, I think it is important that you know, and everyone know, that no matter what the surgery type is, it will never be a permanent quick fix.  There is always the strong possibility for regaining the weight.  ESPECIALLY if you don't address the emotional issues at hand.  I have come to strongly believe that I am addicted to food.  When I could no longer eat to fufill that addiction, I turned to alcohol.  And when I quit alcohol, I turned back to food.  Personally, I need to address the addictive personality I have in order to have any chance at success.  And I believe, unfortunately, not enough of us bariatric surgery patients realize that this is truly a matter of addiction (of course, not for everyone, but I believe it is a bigger problem than many may admit).  So that is my brutal honesty.  So now I am getting re-sleeved and feel I have a lot more insight into my own personal struggles and weaknesses with food.  This time around I am going to use everything I learned through treatment and AA to help me succeed and pray to God that he guide me through it this time.  I wish you the best!!

gorditabonita
on 12/11/12 12:42 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
Thank you so much for your brutal honesty. I have been searching high and low for the longterm results with the sleeve.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

susang
on 12/12/12 10:17 am - CA

I too had the sleeve six years ago and a blessing but have regained 25 pounds and going...need to address my food issues/addiction and also wondering about a redo. I have heard that a redo is riskier but I am not heavy enough "yet" uggg to get the ds. I dont want to reach that point, I too feel as though I have learned alot and am working on the food issues. Can you tell me wh is doing your redo and where? thank you...wishing you the very best!!

MsBatt
on 12/14/12 5:33 am
On December 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM Pacific Time, susang wrote:

I too had the sleeve six years ago and a blessing but have regained 25 pounds and going...need to address my food issues/addiction and also wondering about a redo. I have heard that a redo is riskier but I am not heavy enough "yet" uggg to get the ds. I dont want to reach that point, I too feel as though I have learned alot and am working on the food issues. Can you tell me wh is doing your redo and where? thank you...wishing you the very best!!

If you qualify for WLS, you qualify for the DS.

icurn2003
on 12/18/12 2:58 am - Taylorsville, GA
I understand. I firmly believe in cross addiction. I,too, traded food for (in my case), drugs. I am 18 months in recovery and having a RNY revision next week. When I was in treatment, I had gotten so thin they MADE me eat. Plus, they put me on a med to sleep that is notorious for weight gain. So, I am also going to practice the principles I learned in recovery, and apply it to my food issues. I gained 70 lbs. right now, I'm dealing with the fear it will fail. We can support each other through it!
pineview01
on 12/26/12 12:30 pm - Davison, MI

Cross addiction is a big problem!  We all need to get our heads right first.  It should be before the first surgery, but better late than never.  Some get many revisions without getting the head issues ever fixed.

Good luck with your head and re-sleeve!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active