revISION sURGERY & WEIGHT LOSS? hOW WAS THE RECOVERY?

newlyvibrant529
on 11/23/12 4:59 am

HOW MUCH DID YOU LOOSE FROM ANY REVISION WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY. HAS ANYONE GAINED BACK MOST OF THERE WEIGHT THEN HAD A REVISION? DID YOU REACH YOUR GOAL? WHAT WAS THE RECOVERY LIKE?

pineview01
on 11/24/12 2:28 am - Davison, MI

Many here gained back much to all their weight and than had a revision.  Some of us are still trying to get a revision.  If you read thru the threads you can read many stories.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

saralynne65
on 11/24/12 10:50 am
Revision on 01/23/13

Hi NewlyVibrant,

I don't have an answer but am going to post a similar question. I'm going for a consult Fri for a revision from Lapband to lap RNY.

I'm thinking it probably won't be much different from my lapband surgery but it's been 5 yr.s so the memory is not so fresh.

I have gained back almost all of my weight post lapband, it's like it is not even there :0( I never reached my goal with the lapband.

. I was torn for a while about going through another surgery-should I bother? Should I just have my lapband removed and resign myself to a life of obesity and the health issues that go along with it? But I'm just not ready to give up on myself yet. I want to be healthy and active again.

Good luck to you!

Saralynne

TynettaM
on 11/27/12 1:57 am - Greensboro, NC

That is also my story.

I'll be 5 years out  JAn 2013...and I have gained all back.

Had my consult a few weeks ago and an upper GI.

Waiting on my nutritional consult appt.

I couldn't afford the fills after my husband lost his job and my insurance, didn't cover the fills.

Couldn't pay 350 a fill.....so I tried ww, and the usual diets and what not....finally

I said...I need to get this taken care of..I need help.....

Honestly , my new surgeon ( my old surgeon left the practice ), doesn't have a lot of experience with revision, so i'm looking into another surgeon, who I heard is awesome. My current surgeon tells me oh in 6-9 months we will see what's the best course of action...to me not acceptable....... when 5 years out...I have all my weight back on...

Thank God I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.....

To me that would prove that I'm doing as much as I can to be healthy- I'm 346 currently

so for the rant.....LOL...guess I needed to get that out

saralynne65
on 11/27/12 12:05 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

Hi Tynetta,

The surgeon that placed my lapband left his practice as well and joined Barix, not long after my Lapband was placed.

Honestly, everyone I've talked with just loves Barix but that was not my experience with them. After his PA left the practiceto  move out of state they scheduled my next fill with a dietician they were training her to do the fills. I'm a nurse & I wasn't willing to have my port accessed by someone going beyond the scope of their practice. Personal decision. Some are ok with it, I'm not. After that I went back for a consult with my surgeon that placed my band and he suggested the sleeve as well and didn't seem to want to discuss the RNY at all. Don't get me wrong, he is a fantastic surgeon, very skilled. It's just my impression of Barix was that it was not very individualized and basically I was lost to follow up. I called several times with questions for the dietician or the new PA but after his orginal one left-never received return calls, even when I was complaining severe pain. So I felt pretty abandoned by  that practice. I gave up for a few more years. Now here I am. Starting all over again and a higher surgical risk because of the band.There's my rant too! LOL

Do you have a surgery date yet?

Saralynne

TamaraL
on 11/27/12 10:02 am

oh. i have to say i was very muscle sore.  my surgeon opened me up and removed the band and port.  he did not cut me again.  he manipulated the muscles and did the bypass. 

we couldn't figure out why i was so sore at first until the nurse looked at me and said dr. cox only cut you once and i was like yes!!!  then he explained that most drs cut once to remove the band and port and another cut to do the bypass.

I would revise in a heart beat. it was the right choice for me.  just make sure you understand the follow up you have to do and vitaminsif you do the RNY. make sure you do the research and choose the best surgery for you.

Tamara

TamaraL
on 11/25/12 9:05 am

WHAT KIND OF REVISION ARE YOU SEEKING.  THIS WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN HOW YOU DO WITH THE REVISION. 

I WAS LAP BAND TO RNY. 

tAMARA

LThomas967
on 11/27/12 6:56 am

HI Tamara - I am also a revision from lapband to RNY. Do you find the weight loss is slower because it's a revision? I am doing the right things, the weight is coming off soooo slow. I guess I just figured I would be like the other WLS people. I guess I need to remember that I lost a bunch of weight with the band and the revision is to keep me on track and get to my goal (60 lbs more to go). Please tell me Im not done losing already (almost 3 months out) I've lost about 18 lbs. in 3 months.

TamaraL
on 11/27/12 9:55 am

read my story about the revision.  i lost very, very slow but steady.  very rarely did i have weeks that i didn't lose at all. now sometimes it was just 1/2 pound.  i was greatful that i was losing at all.   i was told that revison patients lose slower. i was told to be religious with the health choices and to follow the diet because the first 6 months is your honeymoon period.  i weighed 218 at surgery and now weigh 155.  i wanted to get to 145 but it just ain't happening.  its not helping that i am eating whatever. 

You are definetly not done losing.  i lost up to a year and then remained steady.  i lose every once in a while.

I do have to say that exercise helped me alot.  3 days after my surgery i was walking. 

Tamara

saralynne65
on 11/27/12 11:39 am
Revision on 01/23/13

Hi Tamara!

I'm seeking a revision from my lapband to RNY. I'm going for consultation in Chicago Fri. I have researched endlessly between the Sleeve & RNY and have been to three consultations. I really like one of the local surgeons I consulted with and he highly recommends the sleeve and would not consider trying to submit to my insurance for revision until I followed with my primary Doc monthly x 6 months of documented dieting. Which I basically feel I've done 5 yrs of this with my lapband. I wouldn't have a problem with this except I have started developing reflux symptoms and occasional port discomfort even though my port has not been accessed in 2 years. I also had a large hiatal hernia repaired at the time of my lapband placement and wonder if it has returned or worsened.

Also I feel I need the malabsorption from the RNY. My concerns are I am hypoglycemic at times and I do not want to end up with diabetes in the future as well as other weight related illnesses. I already have significant hypertension and am on pain meds for osteoarthritis which I am sure carrying this excess weight has exacerbated. I went to see the surgeon I'm consulting with Fri a few months ago and really liked him. He explained thoroughly why he felt RNY would be more appropriate vs a sleeve, and these were questions I asked the other surgeons I saw and I never really got a straight answer-they all pushed the sleeve and that was just shades of my experience of the lapband. I am so disappointed in myself with regards to the Lapband.

I want the right procedure for me not what's most popular. I have nothing against the sleeve it works fantastic for many it but I do worry about the higher leak/bleed risk (with my history) with that procedure as well. So I am traveling a distance to consult with this Dr again, but I want someone who is really good at laparoscopic revisions as I would prefer not to have open. He did not charge me for my prior visit and spent well over an hour talking with my husband and I-and I was undecided at that point as I need another upper GI-which I will have Fri before my consult & the deciding factor will be the surgical fee as he does not participate in my insurance-but the hospital does. I have heard nothing but good things about him, so I am hoping it's a do-able option.

I definitely do not relish the thought of surgery away from home-I hate being out of my comfort zone for sure. But for the right surgeon, I'll suck it up and deal. I'm wondering will I feel about the same or worse than after my Lapband? Did you have an open revision or Lap? What type of vitamin deficiencies have you experienced and how often do you have to review your labs?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience-I really appreciate it. I'm sure I want this but am still frightened of the surgical risks of course. It's good to hear someone say they would do it again-I just want to feel & be healthy again! My only child is getting married next Oct and I want to be alive and healthy for he and his bride to be, as well as any G-children of course ;0)

~Saralynne

Most Active