Stories of recovery from revision

icurn2003
on 11/20/12 8:33 pm - Taylorsville, GA
I am having a rny revision. He will be " shrinking" my stoma and lengthening my limb. Any stories of what your recovery was like? I know there are people on here who think that the only option is conversion to a DS. That is not an option for me. So, while I respect your opinion and choice, please don't respond repeatedly telling me I am making the wrong choice and that DS is the only answer. Thank you !
Whit
on 11/21/12 3:20 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi,

I am one of the RNY to DS people I am pre-op surgery is scheduled for 12/10. I just want to say good luck I hope all goes well and your surgery is successful.

Best,

Whit

Ladytazz
on 11/21/12 4:26 am

I am sorry you don't have other options.  I'm not sure about the lengthening of your limb but I have never heard of one person who has successfully  had their stoma shrunk.  Don't take my word for it.  Do a search and see if you can find any success stories.  I just hate to see you go through all that for nothing.  Find another surgeon who can offer you real solutions.  If a revision to a DS isn't possible then perhaps you can have your RNY redone.  I have heard of people having that done with some success.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Spacely StarKiller
on 11/22/12 2:47 pm - Montreal, Canada

Hey, I haven't heard of the lengthening part... but I'm not a revision to ds-er. I know how you feel in that regard.

I had a bob (band over bypass) Oct 29th.

Hope all goes well

-SJ

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Becky12345
on 11/23/12 10:41 am

I will be having my revision surgery in 11 days with Dr. Buchwald.  When I went to see him, I requested the DS.  Instead, he recommended that I have a proximal (or maybe distal?) rny.  10 years ago,  I had an RNY with great success-for about 3 years.  in the 7 years after that, I've gained most of weight back.  

Anyways, I will be getting my intestines further rerouted - limb lengthening.  Instead of having my stomach reattached, he just wants to use the RNY pouch that is already in place.  He said he has about the same rate of success with this type of surgery as with the DS (95%) and it would be a safer surgery.  

I should mention that he considers my weight to be on the light side, which is another reason not to do the DS.

gloriafb
on 11/23/12 11:56 am - KS

Hello,

I too will be having a revision from the RNY to hopefully the DS, I still have to meet with my surgeon to discuss my options. I had my first weight loss surgery in March 2002, went from 305 to 160, and now ten yrs later I am at 250. I do still feel the "restriction" of the RNY but I have gained most of my weight back so please keep me in your prayers as to my second journey of weight loss surgery and good luck to you too and if you are getting the limb lengthening and stoma shrinking then that is what you are getting as long as it works for you no one should be telling you what YOU should do, god bless and I hope everything works out for you. Take care...

Gloria

charm_n_ladi
on 11/25/12 12:59 am - Atlanta, GA

Hi I was so happy to read your post.  I too will be having my stoma stitched to be smaller.  I haven't heard of limb lenthening but I am hoping for a successful outcome.  I also agree that a lot of people on here like to tell you what you should do and which revision is better than what we are doing.  My surgery is 11/30.  I'm sure I will lose weight the first 2wks but I am hoping that I can be successful beyond that.  When is your surgery? I asked a similar question as yours and hopefully someone out there can share their positive experience.

Most Active