Lapband to RNY or Sleeve

Srg2
on 11/17/12 4:53 pm - CA

Hi there.  I am new here.  I had the LapBand surgery back in 2005 and am now pursuing a revision.  I have lost a total of 65 pounds but am still at 230 lbs with sleep apnea.  My surgeon said he will go for RNY but may have to do the sleeve if scar tissue it too intense.  My question is, how likely is insurance to approve this?  I have Aetna HMO.  I did classes with a nutritionist and went through a behavioral modification program with a psychologist for six weeks.

Are there others out there who were told the RNY may not be an option due to band scarring?  Any experiences with Aetna HMO? 

pineview01
on 11/18/12 6:39 am - Davison, MI

I had a lap band and am trying to get the sleeve.  I could have revised to a RNY 18 months ago but didn't want a RNY.  I waited until my insurance did a sleeve.  I was told the opposite, I was told if the band did to much damage they may not be able to do the sleeve and the RNY might be the only option.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 11/18/12 7:50 am - Vancouver, WA

Like Piney said I've had heard just the opposite that if the sleeve isn't possible then may have to do a RNY. I believe that as a rule the insurance will cover it if the desired surgery isn't possible, but that may not always be true. You might call your insurance and ask them. Good luck!

Funmomof 4
on 11/18/12 10:43 am - Mechanicsburg, PA

I asked my Dr. About this too. She said sometimes there is too much scar tissue from previous abdominal surgeries and where the port was placed. It may be too difficult to pull the intestines up and cut to attach to the stomach. I am going for the RNY but she did inform me that she may have to do sleeve. My port is above my belly button, I've had two lap band surgeries because one slipped a year later, gall bladder surgery and 3 c-sections.  Thankfully my surgeon is very experienced in revisions.

Tammi.  Lap band to sleeve revision Nov 27, 2012 

Sherrie P.
on 11/19/12 11:02 am
RNY on 02/06/13

The approval will surely depend upon your insurance company's guidelines. 

I have the band and am revising to RNY, the only thing I was told was if there is too much scarring, he might have to leave it in.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active