Band to RNY

TamaraL
on 10/31/12 11:18 am

I had my revision in one surgery.  My surgeon prepared me that if the band had eroded he would have to do 2 surgeries.  i was so scared that i would wake up and he would have only removed that horrible band.  the first question i asked was did he do the revision.  the nurse did not understand why i was asking and just reassured me that yes, he had done the revision and i had the rny.

please make sure you get up as soon as you can and walk, walk

tamara

pineview01
on 11/1/12 10:27 am - Davison, MI

This is just MY observation!  This is not a fact!  That's it for the disclaimer.

I believe it is easier to revise from band to RNY in one surgery than band to sleeve  due to where the band is placed.  I have seen more band to RNY posted as one.  I have seen more Band to Sleeve posted as two surgeries.  I also have found one surgeon post on his site he does band to RNY but doesn't recommend a Band to Sleeve.  I would imagine he does as he does only single surgery revisions.  The leak rate is given as a reason.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

gek9742000
on 11/1/12 12:16 pm
RNY on 10/29/12

I had my band removed and RNY done on October 29th.  I am 3 days post op and everything went well.  Some doctors do have a waiting period and say it is to heal.  I am sure every doctors recommendations are different just like their pre-op diets.  I preferred the all in one procedure because I would not have gone back in to endure another painful surgery.  (I have a low tolerance to pain)

250 day of surgery 
150 current weight
135 goal weight

scarlettbegonias
on 11/2/12 10:44 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I had mine done separately but I was initially going for a sleeve and was told I would need to heal I between to lessen the chance of a leak- sleeve surgery was effed up and I was sent to a new surgeon who was surprised a sleeve was attempted on me with the damage I had from the band but he had no issues doing rny- his policy is that he won't revise a band to sleeve because of the risks but will revise to rny in one go.

good luck with it all.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

pineview01
on 11/2/12 2:03 pm - Davison, MI

Thanks Scarlett, that is what I hear a lot lately.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

JennLyric
on 11/14/12 10:47 pm

I was banded in 2003 and on June 29, 2012 I had the band taken out and the RNY done in one surgery.  It went beautifully.  I just had a follow-up yesterday and I'm doing great.  My labs look good and I'm down close to 70 pounds.  It hasn't been without its challenges, but I'm glad I did it.  When I saw that my cholesterol had gone from 273 to 160 I was elated.  I gained back all of the band weight plus 11 pounds.

As far as deciding what to do, you and your surgeon will decide what's best.  We all have different stories for different reasons.  I wish you well with whatever road you choose.

teachergirl
on 11/16/12 2:42 am - Somewhere in, MI

I'm having the same issue as the OP, but my surgeon wants to do them separately.  As I read this thread, it seems its better to be unfilled...so were you unfilled at the time of your surgery?

Most Active