Lap Band to RNY-waiting on insurance approval

leelee76
on 10/26/12 9:50 am

I am new to this site, was on the lapband site for the past year and a half of course. I had my Lap Band put in 7/23/11 and I have lost about 26lbs since then.  I don't have any medical issues with the band, no slippage, maybe a little reflux and my stomach constantly hurts where my port is but that's not a medical issue.   About 6 months ago I decided to see another surgeon to look into a revision.  I just wasn't getting where I wanted to with the band and I had over 9cc's in a 14cc band. Other than getting stuck if I ate too fast I could eat whatever I wanted to.  I'm also hypothyroid and although my lab work suggests my thryoid levels are close to the normal range I think its slower than I want it to be. 

My new surgeon and I both feel that the malabsorption you get with RNY will be more beneficial for me because of my thyroid or lack of it I should say.  I saw the surgeon on 10/15 and I lost my required weight and he gave the go ahead for surgery.  The doctor's office submitted my paperwork to United Healthcare this week with a surgery date of 11/15 (not sure if that will actually be the date). I'm hoping UHC will approve it quickly without any issues, they did for my lap band surgery (approval took less than 2 wks)  My goal is to have this surgery before the end of November, it will be my birthday gift to myself.  I have a renewed sense of determination and feel I will be very successful with this. 

Keeping my fingers crossed I get the birthday gift I really want!

Sherrie P.
on 10/26/12 12:16 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Best of luck to you. The approval for removal will depend upon their criteria.  I hope it all works out!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

smileyjamie72
on 10/27/12 3:30 pm - Palmer, AK

Just curious about if you had researched the Duodenal Switch procedure?  It has better long term weight loss statistics, and you CAN take NSAIDS with the DS, but you cannot take NSAIDs with the RNY, ever again!!!!

Please look into seeing a surgeon who performs ALL 4 WLS. 

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

leelee76
on 10/28/12 10:53 am

I did research the DS procedure and there are no surgeons in my state that perform the procedure unfortunately. I wish they did as I would lean more toward it. I can't take NSAIDS anyway, I'm allergic so that's not a concern with the RNY bypass thankfully

thinlizzie12
on 10/28/12 3:05 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

leelee

Reading your post felt sort of like reading my own;) I too am getting revised from band but to DS. Keep me posted on your journey...good luck to you!

MsBatt
on 10/29/12 1:57 am

Most people who have the DS do have to travel to get it, but I've NEVER heard anyone say they regretted it. Given that your thyroid problems cause you to have a very slow metabolism, you might want to re-think the DS. The RNY only causes malabsorption of CALORIES for about 18-24 months, but with the DS you'll malabsorb calories forever.

leelee76
on 11/2/12 8:21 am

Hooray!! Well got the best birthday news I could have asked for.  Literally a week after all of the paperwork was submitted UHC approved my surgery.  No questions asked no issues.  I couldn't be happier.   My surgery is now scheduled for 12-12-12. That date is a bit freaky! kiss but perhaps a good omen.  I was hoping for a surgery date in November but I'm not going to start complaining since it went so smoothly.  I figure the next month is going to race by anyway and I better start getting my Christmas shopping done now since I know I will be in no condition to do it after surgery. 

Kathi C.
on 11/6/12 9:53 pm - Egg Harbor Township, NJ

YAY! That's great news.

I'm in the process of revising from the Band to Bypass. Waiting to hear back from Tricare, my insurance company. My doc had submitted for a revision to Sleeve which was denied because Tricare doesn't cover Sleeve surgery at all. And now I'm glad that Sleeve was denied because I feel that I need the calorie malabsorption for my weight loss journey.

Keep me updated on your progress.

Be Particular  Self-respect is the most beautiful quality a woman can possess.

pineview01
on 11/2/12 1:55 pm - Davison, MI

Congratulations!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active