Question about heartburn/acid reflux

gek9742000
on 10/23/12 1:17 pm
RNY on 10/29/12
I currently have the LapBand and have terrible reflux and heartburn.  I am having an rny revision next week.  I had read that this would cure my reflux and that a sleeve would not help with my reflux. 

Now I am reading posts from people who have rny and experience gerd.  Am I crazy for thinking the surgery will take away my gerd?  Did anyone have their gerd cured from rny surgery?

Thanks
scarlettbegonias
on 10/23/12 4:17 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 HI
i'd maybe post this on the rny board- I just had my surgery and on nexium but was told that was just whilst my stomach healed, I'm also a revision from Lapband and had never had reflux in my life until I made the mistake of getting the band- my reflux was a nightmare and I'm hoping this will have made a difference.

good luck finding an answer

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Hislady
on 10/24/12 7:29 am - Vancouver, WA
The band causes gerd for many, many people and once revised usually goes away. Actually lots of bandsters do fine with a sleeve and the majority do choose the sleeve for revision. It is most likely the band that is causing the gerd unless you had it prior to the band. Even so for many the sleeve resolves the heartburn. Same goes for the rny, just getting the band off helps the gerd.
MsBatt
on 10/26/12 9:44 am

Honestly,  I'd choose either the Sleeve or the DS. Both preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function. The whole pouch/stoma combo scares me.

I had the DS nearly nine years ago, and I've had NO reflux at all since surgery. Pre-op, it was terrible---some nights I had to sleep sitting up because it was so bad.

Most Active