New to board

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 8:23 am, edited 10/23/12 2:37 am - OH
 Hi, my name is Jessica. I had gastric sleeve weight loss surgery in July 2010 to lose enough weight to try to safely have gastric bypass aka RNY which is to hopefully happen around January 2013 (just waiting on an official date now!!!) I was just approved by my insurance last week to have my revision. I should find out this week when the specfic date is. I have an appointment tomorrow to see how long my surgeon wants me to do Opti-fast. I was too heavy (BMI higher than 60) back then to safely have bypass and on too many medications for my anxiety and depression. I am also medication free now! I managed to go from 418 lbs pre surgery to 362 where I am sitting now. I actually made it to 343 but after going of the remainder of my medication I shot back up 20 lbs in a month. I write a blog called Bariatric Beginnings (www.bariatricbeginnings.com) and run my own bi-monthly support chats for patients. 

What I am sick of is being told I failed or that my first surgey didn't work, I say it did because I am off my medications and surivived two suicide incidents in my first year. 

Please don't comment about my choice of revision, just be supportive, if not don't bother leaving a comment...

clpeltz
on 10/22/12 11:14 am
Why revise to RNY?  You already have the first half of the DS and the DS has the VERY BEST statistics on long term weight loss, especially with high starting BMI's.  If you haven't done any research on the DS, I would highly encourage you to take a look so that you are clear on ALL of your options.  Please visit dsfacts.com to get more info on this platinum standard WLS.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Sherrie P.
on 10/22/12 11:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Agree - welcome to the board and check out DS!!

(I would have done DS, but my insurance won't cover for BMI under 50)

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

pineview01
on 10/22/12 11:47 am, edited 10/22/12 11:48 am - Davison, MI
You already have the sleeve which is what they did with bigger patients as the first half of the DS to get them to a safter weight before doing the "by-pass" 2nd half of the DS.  I don't know why they would do the first half and than when you were at a safer wight do a whole different surgery (rny) than just do the 2nd half of the DS?

I would take a step back than double check why they want to do a rny rather than the second half of the DS!!  Do they just not do DS or that the insurance, like mine, won't pay for the DS!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 10/22/12 12:08 pm
ANOTHER happy DSer here! Seriously, I doubt any surgeon who is skilled enough to DO the DS would suggest that you turn a perfectly good Sleeve into an RNY. Get a second opinion, from a surgeon who actually DOES the DS---I think you'll be glad you did.

Talk to some of the folks here, and on the DS board, who've had their RNY revised to a DS, and let them compare the two surgeries for you.
TamaraL
on 10/22/12 3:01 pm
CAN I ASK WHY YOU ARE GOING FROM SLEEVE TO RNY???  TO ME I WOULD WANT THE DUODENAL SWITCH IF I ALREADY HAD THE SLEEVE.  NOT REALLY UNDERSTANDING AND I HAVE THE RNY.

THEY ARE 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT SURGERIES.

TAMARA

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 2:03 am - OH
 This is why I hate this site, I stopped using it before and will again. I am here for support and not to be told me revision is the wrong kind. I am not getting a second opinion. I am staying with my surgeon and I don't think he does DS. I really like my surgeon and he did my first surgeon. I am not looking elsewhere and start the process again. 

Just be supportive, that's the only reason I got on here. Please keep your opinions to yourself and just be happy for me. 
clpeltz
on 10/23/12 2:52 am
That's not how it works.  YOU posted on a public site.  No one attacked you....just wanted to know why you chose what you did.  I am sure there are others looking at the same kind of revision and would be interested in your answer....IF it is an informed decision.  As long as you have done all your research and you are choosing what is right for you....it is all good!  That is all you can do, is get all the info you can and make an informed decision.  I wish you luck on your journey! 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 10:27 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

She got some really good advice and support and didn't realize it.

I hate it when people deactivate, claiming they were attacked when they weren't.

Allen Y.
on 10/23/12 11:02 am, edited 10/23/12 11:03 am - Garland, TX
 I hope things go well for you. I fail to comprehend why the others could not understand your request not to comment on surgery type. It's like you asked them to stay off the grass and they walked across your grass  to ask you why they should keep off or why you have grass in your yard.. 

I revised from VBG to RNY. My surgeon does do DS and sleeves etc and he thought the RNY was best for me.

Hope your health improves, that is the reason your doing all this.

Most Active